To upgrade follow the steps in your website's http://mybaseurl/upgrader.php script. You will need to copy the URL of the attached TAR file as one of these steps ("3: Upload an upgrade TAR for extraction").
» alternatively (but not recommended), you can manually upload the files inside the attached TAR file over existing files (7-zip is just one of many tools for tar files). This is not recommended because it will bypass the upgraders addon-aware extraction algorithm and potentially cause problems.
Your upgrade to version 4.2 beta2
If you'd prefer though you can enter in your version number right here:
If you don't follow our advice by taking and testing a backup, and end up needing emergency repair help, ocProducts can help charged at our hourly rate.
For more details, see our upgrading tutorial.
Changes from beta 1 include:
- Support for blocks to be placed on either panels or normal Comcode pages, without having to make template changes (the box types adapt automatically). Note that for this to work changes are needed to be made to the HEADER and GLOBAL templates of any current themes.
- "Really smart" summary system
- Semantic web
- Dublin core, and ocPortal extensions
- 'rel' semantics, and ocPortal extensions
- Improved support for Microformats, OpenSearch, and XHTML semantics
- The 'quote' tag can now accept hyperlinks as sources, linking to them.
- Programmers can now use the 'real' data type for tables in their custom modules.
- We've removed a couple of default Comcode pages that were only useful to a minority of sites advertising subscription content ('tease' and 'download_tease'). Anyone wanting these pages can easily add them back, as all they do is place a title then a block.
- We've tidied up OCF member search a bit, to make the search fields more user-friendly.
- Authors no longer need to be defined to be used. In other words, any author that is referenced in downloads or news articles will automatically get an author profile that links all those associates downloads/news-articles.
- A new tool for power-users to copy content between ocPortal websites, in XML format.
- Error messages are now much more thorough, providing solutions on how to resolve the errors. This is powered by a web service that runs off of ocportal.com. This allows us to retroactively link solutions to error messages so that if we accidentally create a bug we will usually be able to provide instant advice.
- The standalone tools (like the Installation Options editor) aren't so ugly any more.
- On Firefox and IE the 'Page' button in the Comcode editor now allows you to visually select a page to link to.
- A new 'Box' button has been added to the Comcode editor, so you can easily create standard boxes on your pages.
- Instant Messenger-related Custom Profile Fields (E.g. MSN address) can now be clicked. Clicking them will send a signal to the IM program for the contact to be added as a friend (or if the IM software does not support that, to initiate a new message to them). This is implemented for: MSN, Yahoo, AIM, ICQ, Skype.
- Some changes have been made to the guest/member bar shown at the top of OCF screens. It now adapts to maximum avatar sizes, has an advanced search link, and the guest bar is less bulky.
- A new warning is given if you try and edit a Comcode page that is on a zone/page combination that is set up to redirect.
- The results-browser links (the links that allow you to move between pages of a long topic/large category) now include a 'First' link, and have been re-ordered.