Considering helping out?Do you want to help our mission: bringing a way that empowers the masses to create better websites on saner budgets?
It's a lofty goal, and we'd love your help!
Why do you want my help?By virtue of the fact that you are reading this, you have at least some interest in web development and/or ocPortal. This makes you perfect for so many reasons:
- The enthusiasm of you and others is key: so many jobs, such as spreading the word, could never be done well on automatic – and if we tried to do everything ourselves, we couldn't sustain the product and community
- You're different. Different from us, and different from many other ocPortal users – either in little or big ways. This diversity is exactly what we need - a variety of skills make ocPortal more valuable for everybody. Share your own special perspectives and talents.
- We need feedback from people on the front lines. What would you improve in ocPortal?
Here are a few ideas of ways to help
- Sponsor a featureDo you want something new implemented in ocPortal? Sponsor little projects listed on the tracker (payment is made via buying support credits).
- Make addonsIf you know PHP, or are learning, make and release some addons for the community. It takes a lot of knowledge, but anybody can learn and it's fun, fulfilling and makes you employable.
- ThemeIf you know XHTML/CSS, or are learning, make and release some themes for the community. With CSS you can start small and still achieve cool things.
- TranslateIf you know another language, collaborate with others on LaunchPad to make a new language pack.
- Google Summer of CodeIf you're a student and want to work on ocPortal for the Google Summer of Code, please contact us and we will work to try and make it happen.
- TwitterFollow ocPortal on Twitter, and tweet about #ocPortal.
- Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook.
- Support us on YouTubeRate and comment on our video tutorials on YouTube.
- Vote for ocPortalVote/rate and review ocPortal wherever you see it. HotScripts and OpenSourceCMS are two places to start.
- Post about ocPortalIf you see CMSs compared on other websites and ocPortal isn't mentioned, let us know about it!
- Tell a friendRecommend ocPortal if a friend or your company is looking to make a website.
- Mention ocProductsMention the staff as web developers to help them bring in an income.
- Show our adYou can advertise ocPortal via the banner ad we have created.
- Self-initiativesFind any opportunity to share ocPortal with someone. Write your own article and publish it. Talk about ocPortal at a conference. Be creative!
- Reach out to other usersParticularly new members, try to welcome them and help make sure they don't get lost. Also put yourself on the map so people near you can get in contact.
- Help others on the forumWhere you can, answer other user's questions.
- Give gift pointsIf you see other members doing good things, give them some gift points.
Usability and stability
- Reporting bugsBig or tiny – we will be happy if you even report typos we make as bugs.
- Reporting usability issuesWe will be happy if you have any concrete suggestions for making reasonably common tasks even a little bit easier.
- Write community tutorialsPost them on CEDI and the staff may highlight them.
- Developing unit testsIf you know some PHP you can help us test ocPortal en-masse. Write unit tests (the latest version of this framework is in our public git repository).
- Supply test data for importersSend an SQL-dump to help us create an ocPortal importer. There's no promise of anything, but it helps us a lot to have test data on hand should we decide to make an importer.
- Core developers wantedIf you ask and demonstrate your skillz and commitment then you can get commit privileges and be fully credited as one of the ocPortal developers. We just need a standard dual-copyright agreement signing.
- OtherDo you have some other expertise? Do you have the ability to help the staff make business connections? There are many other ways to support our mission – be imaginative!
Things you can do right now
What's in it for you?For one thing, you're helping in our mission to make the web development world a better place for people who aren't necessarily programmers or millionaires. You can be a big help to the hard-working ocProducts team who've continued to spend years on very modest incomes to see the vision come to pass. By its very nature the open-source model depends on people like you to share talents in big and small ways.
In addition, we highlight members who have made significant contributions via our community leader-board, ranks, and display of recent activity.
Finally, people who contribute significantly will be well respected and thanked by the community. It feels good!