HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

My first theme - The Woodz

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:
#42980 (In Topic #9559)

Community saint

Ok, so I'm not going to reach the "theme in one day" marker and it's incomplete, however, after taking Chris' lead, I'm attempting to create my first theme. Most of (what was left of) my hair is now on the floor, however, I've learned a massive amount today. My theme is borrowed heavily from Coffee N Cream.

UPDATE: OK, I think I'm done with this one. Still lots to do from my perspective, however, this was a learning project for me rather than a contribution. Having said that, as always, anyone in the OCP community is welcome to it.

Chris, there are two areas that I'd still like to work through on this one; any pointers would be mucho appreciato when you get a second. I made a choice that I swore I would never do again (my hat is off to you Allen as I do not know how you deal with these blasted graphix day in and day out!) which was to use a structured graphic as the menu and main area background. To get this in there nicely (read: easily), I added a container div to HEADER.tpl. One of the side effects of this is that same background is carried into admin zone, block assistant, forum view and I'm sure others. Is there an better way to separate the background between zones? (one method would be to create a duplicate theme without the container div and assign it to admin and formview zones)

TIA!

Last edit: by SoccerDad

"no violence, no hate, no pain, no enemies
just peace, unity, tolerance and love" - The Beloved

OCP V7 | Advocating monetary reform - FreeOurMoney

Need OCP friendly hosting? Look no further:
Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, and Dedicated Servers w/cPanel - Elief! - Official hosting partner for ocPortal.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

ocStaff (admin)

Looks great :).

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend.

Expand: Was I helpful? Was I helpful?

Expand: Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Twitter

If I answered something that you think should be in the documentation, please take the initiative and add it to the community documentation. We really need people to help out here and build a well-organised large support resource.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Hey SoccerDad,

That looks great, wish I knew how to program. I think OCP will start to see a lot of new stuff over the comming months/years as more and more people start using/developing it.

Rick Henson

OCP 4.3.2 & 5.0.1
PHP 5.2.5
MySQL 5.0.51a
FireFox 3.6.8
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Thanx guys!

rick said

Hey SoccerDad,

That looks great, wish I knew how to program.
*grin*, me too!

rick said

I think OCP will start to see a lot of new stuff over the comming months/years as more and more people start using/developing it.
I'm also hoping that we'll see lots of our contributions as well as new adopters so Chris & Co. aren't stuck "doing it all"…

Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, and Dedicated Servers w/cPanel - Elief! - Official hosting partner for ocPortal.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Very nice looking I have not started making any yet because I am waiting for the final version of 4 just in case things change.
ANy way you did a very good job.

I run http://otakuplayground.com and am hopping to make themes and other things for ocportal even though I no longer use it for otakuplayground.com I still love it and feel it could go far with the right help. It needs themes and needs people to advertise for it.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Honoured member

Hiya, SoccerDad:

My hat's off to you.  Looks GREAT, wish I had half your capabilities!!  I'm struggling through the CSS Zen Garden and good ole W3Schools' CSS tutorial trying to just get startedgood job.  I like the subdued color choice, as well.  

Hitch

I always ask myself: WWWWD?, or, "What Would Wonder Woman Do?"
How come we have Yahoo IM, AIM, ICQ, you name it, but no field for Skype contact info?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Hi Hitch! Thanx for the kind words my friend and glad to hear you are getting your feet wet as well!

Apologies for not getting the classifieds tut done last week; I ended up battling a rotten head and chest cold for the entire week. I should have some time this week to get it completed.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

I hope you are feeling better.

I run http://otakuplayground.com and am hopping to make themes and other things for ocportal even though I no longer use it for otakuplayground.com I still love it and feel it could go far with the right help. It needs themes and needs people to advertise for it.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Thanx Ami, it's still with me, however, I think the worst is over.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Yay very good to hear.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Honoured member

SoccerDad said

Hi Hitch! Thanx for the kind words my friend and glad to hear you are getting your feet wet as well!

Apologies for not getting the classifieds tut done last week; I ended up battling a rotten head and chest cold for the entire week. I should have some time this week to get it completed.

Hi, SoccerDad!

First, I hope you are feeling better, being under the weather really sucks.  Second, I wasn't really being kind, I genuinely like your theme.  Third, if you do get a chance to do that tutorial re:  Classifieds, I'll have to start sending you virtual brownies or Godiva or something, because after I wrestle with the theming issue, it's my next big dragon to be slain.

As I said, hope you feel better, and keep up the cool theming, we can all use the inspiration.   ;)

Regards,

Hitch

I always ask myself: WWWWD?, or, "What Would Wonder Woman Do?"
How come we have Yahoo IM, AIM, ICQ, you name it, but no field for Skype contact info?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Are you going to offer this as a download?

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

For sure! There are still a few things that I need to correct on that theme, but once done, I'll post it on oc4themes.org.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

yay cool can not wait to use it. :)

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

this theme looks absoluty nice ^^

when i have some free time i will try to make a theme to (i know a  bit about html and css)

but at the moment i have so many things to to ^^

it will be a dark, red , gray theme with rounded corners ^^

Wanna help to translate ocP in your own language? Then take a look to this site! Please register here before!
Any problems, or questions?
Look here!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

My hats off to ya soccordad, this The Woodz"  theme is very cocolicious :lol:

It all looks very stream lined and nice eye candy -pleasing to the eye.

Im very interested in this classifieds tut you have put together, cant seems to find them, could you post the link, thanks.

Additionally, since oc4themes.org. doesnt have anything there is it possible to place it on this site, so i can download and/or benchmark from it?

and yes, i do give credit where credit is due.

You did a wonderful job! have you made a tutorial for this too?

peace
hope to c u around
robin
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Honoured member

Very nice theme there SoccerDad! It's definitely encouraging to the rest of us  :thumbs:

The oc4themes.org is gone so sad….  :'(

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Thanks everyone for the kind words and apologies for my tardiness in replying; real life has caught up with me again! I will attempt to get this theme ready for export this week and post it here. I also have 4 other projects that I had planned on working on, however, my time for these items has been severely curtailed. I do hope to get back to them ASAP:

1. Help Ami with oc4themes.org.
  2. Work with any who are interested in developing an addon based on a sample that Chris has provided me. (it's a learning project for all community members who are interested)
  3. Finish the Classified Site tutorial. (Hitch is gonna kill me I'm so overdue with this one)
  4. Create a block for OCP similar to those used on msnbc.com

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Hehe thanks for mentioning my site.
You still have a wonderful theme here.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
red

Fan in action

wowh!!  :wub: very beautifull theme
Back to the top

1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None
Control functions:

Quick reply   Expand