HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS. ocPortal 9 is superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

Update to feedback

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

By the way, the Firefox issue seems to be cos it was an older version. When I got this new PC I copied over the old FF instalation thingy but having updated it this site seems OK with it.

I captured a screen shot if anyone's interested but that version of FF must be well over a year old so probably not an issue now.

D
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

dateofbirth said

Could a bunch of you be so kind as to click this, start counting and tell me how long it takes?

Fitness Community

In the interests of "Community", I did as you asked.

Can't see any problems. Made several attempts, just to be sure that cacheing on my computer did, or did not make a difference, but the site loaded in under 5 secs each time, without any discernable difference between the first and subsequent loads. I don't think you can ask for much better, and I suspect you can put back all the 'trimmed down' bits if the reason for trimming was to speed up the site load time.

I am assuming your host is located in the US (that's the best info I have, although Hong Kong keeps appearing as the 'registration' information), city unknown, and since I am located in Portugal, here is a breakdown of some ping times:
Pinging www.member.biggly.com [64.14.68.35]:

Ping #1: Got reply from 64.14.68.35 in 29ms [TTL=50]
Ping #2: Got reply from 64.14.68.35 in 14ms [TTL=50]
Ping #3: Got reply from 64.14.68.35 in 28ms [TTL=50]
Ping #4: Got reply from 64.14.68.35 in 14ms [TTL=50]

Variation:                 15ms (+/- 70%)

Shortest Time:             14ms
Average:                   21ms
Longest Time:              29ms

Done pinging www.member.biggly.com!

I think you can sit back, satisfied that everything is working as it should, and concentrate on getting the site up and 'populated'.

Good Luck.

:thumbs:

Take my advice. I'm not using it!

View my working ocPortal site (version 9.x.x) at Anglo-Indian Portal
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

Cheers Fletch.  :thumbs:

It runs OK without the news and well, pretty much everything that was originally on the front page.

Until populated, I'm happy to leave it lean like that. Ironically today I had my first member join, so the speed increase does indeed seem to make a difference. We'll see :)

(the Hong kong reference is the fact the hosting company is based there but they have 2 server centers, my site is on the US server)

D.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

It worked fine for me. Came right up with out a problem.

I run http://otakuplayground.com and am hopping to make themes and other things for ocportal even though I no longer use it for otakuplayground.com I still love it and feel it could go far with the right help. It needs themes and needs people to advertise for it.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

Kewl.

I contacted my hosts and they pointed something out:

"Hello.

Each customer is allocated a certain amount of CPU, RAM etc. You currently have a busy membership system in addition to this script. When you transfer your members to the new script it will be quicker"

However as I say, the page generation times are fast enough, I think it was the page *size* causing the problem.

Many people still use dial-up and a 50k page doesn't happen quickly.

I'll see how it goes. :)

D.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Good to hear its working better.
Now I need to fix smf on my site.
The server switch over that allowed me to use php 5.2 made smf not work but I am going to use ipb.

I run http://otakuplayground.com and am hopping to make themes and other things for ocportal even though I no longer use it for otakuplayground.com I still love it and feel it could go far with the right help. It needs themes and needs people to advertise for it.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Dateofbirth, I opened your site also, and clicked around to various links as well, and all pages loaded in  less than 5 seconds.  Looking good!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

Thanx - but as non-member you're not supposed to see all pages?

O_o

D.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

I can get to your downloads.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

That's OK, you're sposed to get there :)

D
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Well, by "pages", I meant the pages I could see, as well as the "you have to login to see this" pages.  They're all pages, regardless of what they say.  Don't worry, I didn't get past anything.  :ninja:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

LOL me either.

Back to the top

There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Quick reply   Contract

Your name:
Your message: