HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS. ocPortal 9 is superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

New to ocPortal with a couple of questions

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

Jason, thanks for that long reply;  apparently I had made the permission changes but not saved them … something I do all too often! … I went back, made them again and made sure I saved them and it went away as it should.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

Fletch, I've made the changes you suggested and a couple more.  Thinking it's looking a lot better.

Get to talk with the folks for whom I'm doing this volunteer work and see if they want to go with it or as they suggested a simple "landing page".  Yeh, it does get to be fun when I'm in south Texas and they're in Cincinatti, Yankeeland, Ohio.

Any idea, Fletch (or anyone) why the heading picture is so slow loading?  Cincinatti NVC
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Al Jones said

… Any idea, Fletch (or anyone) why the heading picture is so slow loading?  Cincinatti NVC
Loads instantly for me. Perhaps somebody else might have a 'negative' response, or even a fix for your issue …!!

:(

Take my advice. I'm not using it!

View my working ocPortal site (version 9.x.x) at Anglo-Indian Portal
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Fletch said

…Perhaps somebody else might have a 'negative' response…
Both the heading and background images load slow for me

Do you have a Samsung Galaxy S / Galaxy S II ? If so, why not check out my ScreenFree FM Radio .
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

I run development with my cache turned off and oddly the background loads quickly and the header loads slowly.
Converted the header to a png which is larger but loads faster.  
At the moment I'm confused.
I'm on a 3mb dsl line so I'm used to some pictures loading slowly but for one to load quickly and the other to load slowly does boggle my mind ….

(( firefox add on cachetooggle allows me to turn cache on and off ))
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Looks like its your host.

I've checked some of the other sites stored on the server you are on and plenty of them are slow as well.

Do you have a Samsung Galaxy S / Galaxy S II ? If so, why not check out my ScreenFree FM Radio .
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

Ah, yes, the benefits of shared hosting.  For my couple of static web sites I don't have a problem so it's no big deal.
And when this gets moved to their hosting, it then becomes their problem, if it is a problem there.

I wouldn't have looked there since one image does load quickly and one doesn't, er … for me, so I was thinking it was in something I was doing inside ocPortal.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Al Jones said

I wouldn't have looked there since one image does load quickly and one doesn't, er … for me, so I was thinking it was in something I was doing inside ocPortal.
I just tried it in different browsers, and it appears to be just the differences in browsers and how they manage resources.

For example, for me:

Chrome - Loads both images at the same time progressively.

Firefox - Starts loading header image progressively slowly and then after a short while the background pops up instantly.

I.E. - Similar to Firefox, but the background is tiled.

So I can see what you are seeing with Firefox. The background starts downloading first, but Firefox waits for the image to download completely before displaying it it appears to "download fast".

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

temp1024 said

For example, for me:

Chrome - Loads both images at the same time progressively.

Firefox - Starts loading header image progressively slowly and then after a short while the background pops up instantly.

I.E. - Similar to Firefox, but the background is tiled.

Curiouser … and curiouser.

I've tried all the major browsers, too, and I can 'see' the instances of 'progressive' loading on first accessing the site (after clearing caches), and then the images, logo and background, pop in almost instantly.

I do not see the tiled background image in IE version 11.0.9600.17278 …!?!

:thumbs:

Take my advice. I'm not using it!

View my working ocPortal site (version 9.x.x) at Anglo-Indian Portal
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Fletch said

I do not see the tiled background image in IE version 11.0.9600.17278 …!?!

:thumbs:
Ahh, my I.E. is v8. It doesn't bother me too much that its so old because I almost never use it, so I don't bother keeping up to date. This is probably the second time I've used it all year.

Back to the top

There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Quick reply   Contract

Your name:
Your message: