HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS. ocPortal 9 is superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

German

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

German

Hi Chris,

from my point of view the chances of making ocp more popular (or known, for a start) in foreign countries - like Germany - were much better if there was a complete translation in formal language. It just feels professional. I'm pretty sure some bloke who wishes to create e.g. a community for gamers is less annoyed by being guided through the process in formal language than a corporate admin is when he's "buddied" all the time. The content OTOH can always be informal, cockney rhyming slang or whatever. So I think for a start a formal language pack is the better way. We don't expect Microsoft to roll out informal language versions of Windows 7, do we?

Problem on Launchpad (why do I tend to type Lunchpad all the time…) still is, that there already are different approved parts of the German translation in formal and informal and I can't spoil the informal parts, can I? I think I'll register with Launchpad and try contact other translators to discuss this issue.

Have a nice one,
Lowlander
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Thanks for your clarity and enthusiasm!

Hopefully this poll will help us resolve this issue :)

ocPortal.com - View topic: Formal or informal?

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Support me on Patreon
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

Chris,

Unfortunately my concept of contacting other translators on Launchpad didn't pay out. So I set off to make a translation of my own, which I'm almost finished with. It was one hell of a lot of work. O_o

Almost finished means that I skipped the chat and other minor parts I'm not going to use when productive. I skipped parts of the themes.ini as well, because I did not know what to do with all the "Get value of variable A" stuff. But I think it's a fairly consistent translation, more or less ready for review by a professional translator (which I'm not). I think there is no point in uploading the files to Launchpad and overwriting stuff, so if you could think of a way to use my files, feel free to contact me.

Perhaps there is a possibilty of using them as a base for a second language Pack on Launchpad, like "DE formal tone"?

Have a nice one,
Peter

Last edit: by Lowlander
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fantastic! Could you upload them in a zip here in case others want to use them or contribute.

I wish I could create 'DE formal tone' on Launchpad, but we're waiting on them implementing support for language variants.

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Support me on Patreon
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

Chris,

I'd love to upload a zip of my results. Where am I supposed to upload it to, btw? It just will take me a few more days to finish the language pack, as I've discovered a few more ini files, I hadn't tackled yet. I hope that I've got the complete set now, I think not all of them show up in the criticise language pack screen.

And I still don't know for sure what to do with all the "Get value of variable A" Tempcode stuff in themes.ini, are those translatable at all or will they be used as commands in Tempcode (which would be rendered useless if all commands were translated)?

Have a nice one,
Peter
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Hi Peter,

You should be able to just upload a zip into here :).

The "Get value of variable A" stuff can be directly translated.
Something like… "Get Wert der Variablen A"

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

Ok everyone,

here we go: My first homemade language pack. I used utf-8 as a charset because I'm not sure if German (or any language that uses extended characters) will work properly as ISO-8859-1 (latin1). At least it didn't on my website and various test installations. I use utf-8 as charset and collation as well on my MySQL database and had to set add the line

Code

$SITE_INFO['database_charset']='utf8';
to my info.php to make the whole thing work.

I initially created the language pack in latin1-mode and had to re-save all ini-files (and previously translated comcode pages) to utf-8 in an external editor after changing the charset phrase in global.ini. If you start German with utf-8 right away, you shouldn't need to do this.

The language pack is in formal language and I think it's quite consistent. None of my friends or colleagues was willing to read through all the phrases, so there might be the very occasional typo or error.

Enjoy,
Peter

Attachment
Language pack German (formal tone)
» Download: DE.utf8.zip (255 Kb)
Back to the top

There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Quick reply   Contract

Your name:
Your message: