HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS. ocPortal 9 is superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

ocPortal version 8

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

A better approach for the CSS is to do the diff differently - compare the v7 CSS to the v8 CSS, and then apply the (small) set of changes you see to your own theme.
Thanks for the tip Chris! My brain is not yet in 'upgrade mode', so I haven't yet thought through the approach I need to take.

Do you have a Samsung Galaxy S / Galaxy S II ? If so, why not check out my ScreenFree FM Radio .
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Congratulations on this exciting announcement  :party: and big thanks to the sponsors of features. This sounds like such a major boost to the user experience.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Thanks for the points Rishi. Much appreciated.

:thumbs:

Take my advice. I'm not using it!

View my working ocPortal site (version 9.x.x) at Anglo-Indian Portal
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Yes, thank you for the point Rishi.

I agree that this is a major boost in the user experience and we have a couple of more sponsored items which will further improve that experience (0000301: Provide a grid layout option for main_cc_embed - ocPortal feature tracker and 0000309: Allow dynamic user filtering of catalog and gallery display - ocPortal feature tracker). Now we just need to complete the sponsorship of the multi-categorization feature (0000063: Multi-categorisation - ocPortal feature tracker) which is discussed at View topic: Sponsorship for Feature Tracker item #63: Multi-categorization - ocPortal

I'm looking forward to the increased flexibility for us site owners/webmaster and for the benefits that out members and visitors experience.

Bob
Back to the top

Important!
Posted
Rating:

Posts from this topic have been moved by Chris Graham. 16 posts have been transferred to Gift points?.

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Support me on Patreon
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Important!

Posted
Rating:

Some good news :).

We're going to write a theme upgrader to upgrade from 7 to 8.

This will essentially automate what you'd need to do manually with a diff tool. However, rather than fully automated like the tool we've had so far, it'll work as a special hand-written script that pinpoints the necessary changes in a better way, and give some feedback on the process. It'll also have some understanding of the Theme Wizard, so will be able to apply changes taking into account necessary theme wizard transformations.

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Support me on Patreon
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Sounds awesome despite the fact that it means that much longer of a wait!

You love to tease don't you Chris? Waving that wonderful piece of bacon in front of us, just high enough where we can almost reach it? It's not nice you know :P

Legends of Nor'Ova: A site powered by ocPortal; home of the Legends of Nor'Ova tabletop RPG wiki and community.

Like ocPortal? Want to thank Chris and gang somehow? Then help out in the chat room! It really needs your help! Just open it in a tab everytime you open your web browser, and when you hear a "ding", check it out!

"Those who want help should first be willing to give help."
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

We're going to write a theme upgrader to upgrade from 7 to 8.
Would that be applicable to a 'heavily-modded' theme 7 to a 'vanilla' 8?
 :lol:

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

mythus said

Sounds awesome despite the fact that it means that much longer of a wait!

You love to tease don't you Chris? Waving that wonderful piece of bacon in front of us, just high enough where we can almost reach it? It's not nice you know :P

It's true, I do keep finding extra little things to do ;). But this isn't going to take long at all, it's relatively simple, a bit of an 'aha' moment when realising we can combine an automatic process with a manual script and get something a whole lot better than what we had.

Would that be applicable to a 'heavily-modded' theme 7 to a 'vanilla' 8?

I'm planning for it to let you do a test run to see how well it would work, and for it to also tell you which upgrade rules failed (but applies the rest). My gut feeling is this will work very well. I'm running it on all the ocProducts themes so it better do ;).

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Very encouraging news, indeed, Chris. It certainly sounds like this will make all the nice, shiny new features in v8 more attainable to a wider audience who might have otherwise chosen to stick with the version they are running.

Bob

Last edit: by BobS
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Sounds fantastic Chris!

If you need a heavily modded theme to test with I'm more then happy to send you mine.

Do you have a Samsung Galaxy S / Galaxy S II ? If so, why not check out my ScreenFree FM Radio .
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

I'm running it on all the ocProducts themes so it better do ;).
Can't ask for more than that - "… a man who puts his money where…" - you know what I mean!

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Honoured member

Really looking forward to this upgrade. I've been in 'test' mode with ocPortal for a couple of months and have never been able to move forward with it because i've been unable to import from Blogger. I'm really really REALLY glad i'll be able to with v8, so thanks Chris :)

Whats the timetable for release? I could do with telling my readers when to order the removal company ;-)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

I'm planning for it to let you do a test run to see how well it would work, and for it to also tell you which upgrade rules failed (but applies the rest). My gut feeling is this will work very well. I'm running it on all the ocProducts themes so it better do ;).

Wonderful Chris!
Looking forward to upgrade all my themes to V8.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Even just watching old posts float in, I've got to say that the new non-spacer post for comments is a huge improvements. It should really help with SEO for the Website comments forum if you allow Guest access.

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

pfffft... is that all...  :o :lol:

I hope my server can handle it all and no implode... oh wait I hope I can handle doing the upgrade... O_oO_o
Back to the top

There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Quick reply   Contract

Your name:
Your message: