HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS. ocPortal 9 is superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

Translating into Russian

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:

Yeah. What are you seeing now, are the headings that were missing before now there in English?

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Support me on Patreon
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

Sorry, certainly I've had to illustrate that. Fingers cross everything seems to fallen in the right place. Here you can see Ru part:

Notice there are no any js staff in address bar this time. Some of those words I told before I simply left as they were in English but wrote them in Russian characters, just to make sure they stay where they are. Than I switch to En removing checker where the 'Remember Lang'

Success message you see in Ru. This is En part:

Nice job thank you      
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Aha, I finally found the cause! It's because it sorts the config groups by name, but PHP does not understand Cyrillic and basically it ended up losing them all in the sort because they were being stripped away.

So the fix did work, but I didn't quite no why. I fixed the symptoms correctly :).

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Support me on Patreon
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

I am glad you've figured the cause and reached now sort of internationall conclusion. Good. We'll keep on rollin' 
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

This is known to happen with Russian characters. The solution is to replace the data/fonts/Vera.ttf file with Verdana.ttf from your own computer. We would distribute this file with ocPortal, except we don't have a license to

Hi, Chris! I did exactly what is sad… Uploaded verdana.ttf taken from my Vista OS, deleted Vera.ttf.  No effect, exept the table header's entries have dissapeared. So I returned the Vera back . Now it looks like this:

permissions screen

Last edit: by Sherman
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fix attached (needs both files).

Attachment
sources/misc_scripts.php
» Download: misc_scripts.php (37 Kb, 188 downloads so far)
Attachment
data/gd_text.php
» Download: gd_text.php (2 Kb, 179 downloads so far)

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

Thank you Chris for quick response. Hope it'll work. Upgrading to newest version went smooth. The file admin_config with your previous fix was overwritten. Ok!
I was just to about to ask one more question regarding the ability for user to use a language user set in his profile. As I've already noticed, as soon as the language is set to RU (example) in user's profile, the user receives the confirmation address e-mail of his appropriate language choice, which is great. But when he visits site again (testing: default set to EN, and without taking into account browser settings), the system still in default EN language for him, whilst he would expect the site greeting him in the language he set previously in his account. It'd be sensible. Would not it? I've read this :
To test a language without editing anything you can append &keep_lang=FR to the URL (this is an example for French). If the URL did not contain an "?" symbol already you would need to append ?keep_lang=FR instead.
If this confuses you, put the side_language block onto one of your panels. This does the same thing.
and it works, it keeps &keep_lang=RU until the user closes the browser window, great. So do I need this additional block - module with button - selector in it, or  there is other simple way to make user to see his chosen language?
In my case, I was going to add one more language Ukrainian. I would like the Ukrainian speakers (with possible Ukrainian browser settings) to see Russian interface, or to have the button to switch view. Now they see EN, obviously, instead of RU they all speak, and which is wide spread over there.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Hmm, user is still logged in when they go to the site, and it's not in the language their profile is set to? Presumably this is without any keep_lang in the URL?

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

No, user has already logged out, and when he comes back later, after logging in, he doesn't see interface of preferred language, user actually sees English. Whether this right? I will try to register another user. Certainly, without any keeping lang features, and with no checker, where the 'Remember Lang',  in site configuration. I am testing default.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

Permissions. I know you gonna hate this. Unfortunately, the same goodness in a different way. It's not a problem when you are Admin or super-member,   though.

It looks better from an aesthetic point of view.   . Are there any of these entres in DB? 
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Hi,

I think I'll need to look on your server for these, so you can email access details to chris@ocportal.com.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Ok, no bugs this time :).

First issue was 'Detect language from forum' option wasn't on.

Second issue seems to be the font was not replaced correctly. I have devised an OcCLE command that works in the future (but I've done it in your case Sherman):

Code

:file_put_contents(get_file_base().'/data/fonts/Vera.ttf',http_download_file('http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/fulllist/pdf_generator2_fonts/0.0.1/info/?tx_terfe_pi1%5BdownloadFile%5D=fonts%252Fverdana.ttf&cHash=909a78c3bd'));
It downloads it from the nice guys at typo3, who seem happy to host unlicensed content :lol:. (it's hardly a big deal though, as virtually everyone has several licenses for this file…)

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

- Superb!!! This is exactly how the one would expect the system to perform. :king: Thank you for help. There was a lack of expertise from my side I am afraid . I would have found out that myself if I could…Still I cannot find where the 'Detect language from forum' checker is, sorry, and what is the logic. I've missed the point. There are no any OCF entries there yet in RU. So how that might be considered as a landmark? Anyway I like your approach: "Noway there could be a bug. I am positive. " Well done! :thumbs:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

It's a config option, probably under Admin Zone > Setup > Configuration > Site options. I renamed it yesterday too because I realised it was a bit confusing, it will be called 'Detect language from account' in the future.
It comes from ocPortal's forum driver system. Both the accounts and the actual forums go through that, so we sometimes refer to both 'the forum'. It makes more sense if you're running e.g. phpBB because you really would consider the phpBB account as a part of phpBB which is 'forum software'.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

I see, You have to take in consideration the integration with that popular forum engine, sure. Let me ask one :offtopic:question. That domane name I choose using word "lingo". How does it sound to English speakers. I mean the assosiations. Does it fully reflect the site idea, which is "learn a language online".
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

"You speak the 'lingo'", yeah sounds okay to me…

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

Admin Zone > Setup > Configuration > Site options. I renamed it yesterday too because I realised it was a bit confusing, it will be called 'Detect language from account' in the future

Hi, Chris. The future has come. 
1. Yes, you did rename that language string, but we still do not have this DETECT_LANG_FORUM reflected on the Configuration page. I was forced to change '<null>' to '1' in DB dump in table ' _config' , so as to reach the desired system performance.
2. I've got message in Russian that 'dont_escape_trick' language string is missing.

What  this critical error could possibly mean.
I've probably translated something in a wrong way, I guess. Have a look, please …

I don't have to translate whatever is in [descriptions] section. Do I?

Last edit: by Sherman
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Hi,

All this looks like the EN language pack is not being read. Did you translate into RU, or did you put the Russian translations on top of the EN language pack (replacing it).

Descriptions don't need translation, they are just to help translators understand some things.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

Does it look like that? Okay, I gues now why. Of course my RU pack is situated in the lang_custom folder next to folder EN. You know what I did? I decided this time not to edit original file lang/EN/global.ini setting it to utf-8. Instead I put (edited to utf-8) global.ini  in the folder lang_custom/EN/  Because I wanted it to owerride original global.ini file. Doing this way I ensure the upgrading process doesn't affect utf-8 setiing of the system. Here is the picture of lang_custom/EN/global.ini:

Could this have been the couse?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Hi,

I'll try and get back to you tomorrow. I think this is something I need to look at very carefully.
Actually I probably still have access to your site, so if you could leave it so I can see the error I can then debug that. Could you remind me of the access details though, they are buried too deep in my inbox.

Sorry that I always forget how people's sites are set up, I should have remembered your configuration from before. I look at so many and it's difficult to remember.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Quick reply   Expand