HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS. ocPortal 9 is superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

Translating into Russian

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

O.K. Thank you for your help. The localization is difficult part I know. I've got to work out CSS and make-up myself obviously. I didn't mean to complain. It's better to let you know at least. :thumbs:  I'll update you with a quality language pack little later  
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

I'm extremely happy to see Russian ocPortal and to get bug/usability reports. Thanks very much! I'm just too busy to ensure I write my words carefully to reflect this :lol: .

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Support me on Patreon
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

Hi, Chris! When i try to open configuration I see there must be 89 entries under the Site options category, but the actual list is much shorter - 36, I clearly remember before I've had an option 'tick' to remember browser language settings and 'site closure' as well.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Hi,

Is it possible some of the language strings could have disappeared out of the lang/EN/*.ini?
If ocPortal can't find a language string in the current language pack or the EN language pack, it skips showing the option.

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Support me on Patreon
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

I have no idea. Well, actually I have few. I haven't made any changes to the folder you mentioned. I performed fresh installation than changed everything I could in DB to utf-8. It would be much more reasonable though to do this substitution in the data.ocp file before the installation stage. My text editor doesn't willing to do this nasty things - simply craches - too massive file apparently. So I've used normal file. Than I started to translate global.ini inside the software, and what I recieved is new global.ini with windows 1251 charset :o and bloody HTML nuber rows in the browser instead of cyrrilic text. In DB there were entries in the same #numbers&; . So I took old file in utf-8 with russian strings and uploaded one on server. The display was correct, in DB this time warped text instead HTML numbers. I don't mind already, but than suddenly I noticed the issue I described abowe. 
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

You can always reupload the lang/EN folder from the manual installer :). Also the integrity checker in the upgrader might tell you if something is corrut.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

No effect, Iam afraid. Integrity was o'k, I've deleted those… 
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

Yes, I've managed to reproduced the issue. Once again, fresh installation, with DB utf-8 preset,I see full list of site options, than inserting file global.ini (utf-8) into newly created folder lang_custom/Ru, finally I've got only chank of that list. This is integrity scan result:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Hi,

The upgrader issue is a definite bug (ocPortal did not set the character set for the upgrader). We've fixed this in v6.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

This is weird. I dont mind having a little chinese quote on the the upgrader button. It seems I was saying about It'd be nice to have general configuration site options list. Wasn't I…
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Ah, sorry I didn't read carefully enough. I've just tested in v6 using the pack you sent previously and it's working, so possibly it's a bug we've since fixed. Sorry, I can't remember fixing the issue, but I might have.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

Hi, Chris! Version 6.0.2. :dry: Regarding localization. My DB at the moment being filled correctly in Cyrillic, providing utf-8 everywhere. There's ongoing problem with upgrader.php. I don't know what exactly was a trigger, but since I've altered lang/EN/global.php to utf-8, :hippie: I discovered the whole bunch of files in the lang/EN folder surprisingly became cp1251. O_o I've changed them to desired utf-8, than portal became very slow :constipated: and finally I received this  js error. The outcome of correcting the js encoding from cp1251 to utf-8 was pathetic - the page doesn't load. :shutup: Why the system keeps on generating cp1251 files? We need to resolve this issue. Thre's no other way to reach EN/RU combination but to set the whole system to utf-8.:guitar:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

but since I've altered lang/EN/global.php to utf-8

Did you do this inside ocPortal's language editor, or via an external text editor?
If one doesn't work, I would try the other. I can actually see issues both ways.
ocPortal will never convert anything from one character set to another (in fact it knows nothing of cp1251), but web browsers will convert to HTML entities if characters are entered that aren't supported in the current character set.
An external editor should be able to make the change safer as long as it saves the same character set it reads without web browser and PHP constraints getting in the way.

I don't think ocPortal has any bugs here but it's an extremely complicated area that different pieces of software don't agree on how to handle.

Actually you said the lang/EN files had changed. That's odd because these are the default files, and ocPortal will never write to them, except for replacing them with the latest versions in the upgrader. Actually files don't actually have a character set in a fixed way - so if something is claiming a file IS a specific character set it is only guessing. Files don't save the character set like they do the filename (not on Linux anyway), so whatever reading them has to know what they are reading. When software tries to state the character set it is doing it like code-breaking, by looking to see if it is valid unicode or by looking at a 'frequency analysis'. The lang/EN files could be considered compatible with many different character sets, including utf-8 and iso-8859-1 (and yes possibly cp1251), because we don't use any complex characters in them. This is because the latin characters have the benefit of being represented in almost all the character sets.

I don't know the cause of that Javascript error. It does appear that you might need to clear the template cache because the characters there are different to what the page has, so it sounds like the cache is out of date. But that does not explain the error. Maybe you have still got some overridden old templates.

I do want to switch ocPortal to utf-8 by default to just remove these problems. I expected to be able to do it years ago because PHP 6 was going to support it properly, but PHP 6 was dropped. We have added unofficial utf-8 support that works around PHP's lack of support but it isn't well tested, but I have added a plan to do it for the next major release:
0000256: Switch to utf-8 - ocPortal feature tracker

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

My fault. The encoding mess was caused by my Komodo text editor's set of preferences. Default was cp1251. Apparently the text editor recognized only the files in root folder as utf-8, and the bunch of custom/RU I've created also in utf-8. In the same time all the rest it's defined as default cp1251.

The crucial think you sad was this one:

ocPortal will never convert anything from one character set to another (in fact it knows nothing of cp1251).

It was really helpful. I don't see that jserror any longer, at least for time being. Everything seems to go in regular way, including upgrading to latest version. As I mentioned earlier the DB in Cyrillic (providing utf-8 settings for lang/EN/global.ini), and this pep me up (sad ok?). Also the submitted form's outcome is rendered on the pages properly.

There's another problem appeared to be repeating. No access to the  …
/adminzone/index.php?page=start&js_cache=1 Yee… this is Admin Zone, but it doesn't depress me even a bit. :upsidedown:  What I see is a little red rectangle-loader on the up right corner of the white screen. Kind of "Loading forever"…

Regarding switching to the portal to utf-8, you know people from Zen Cart (I've translated recently), the say basically the same, they are going to issue next release set to utf-8
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Glad it works now :). I hate diagnosing UTF problems, because they're so complex, I don't understand non-English languages, and me and non-English people might not understand each other very clearly due to the language barrier :lol:.

There's another problem appeared to be repeating. No access to the  …
/adminzone/index.php?page=start&js_cache=1 Yee… this is Admin Zone, but it doesn't depress me even a bit.   What I see is a little red rectangle-loader on the up right corner of the white screen. Kind of "Loading forever"…

Not sure why it's not working, but this feature is the "Advanced Admin Cache" which you can turn off.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

-You mean, using plain English in conversation is allways helpful? :nod: No doubt. "Advanced Admin Cache", no I didn't get this. How come the Admin Zone access might've been an advanced feature. I'll find out.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

-You mean, using plain English in conversation is allways helpful?  No doubt.

I can't speak Russian at all, and you can speak pretty good English but when discussing really complex things like UTF it's hard to communicate clearly. I am just reflecting, not making an important point.

"Advanced Admin Cache", no I didn't get this. How come the Admin Zone access might've been an advanced feature. I'll find out.

It's an option in the Admin Zone > Setup > Configuration > Site Options > Caches.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

Oh, yes, understandably so, thank's for compliment, once I happened to live in SE23, Forest Hill, there were nice neighbors there, I recall.

The way you've directed me led exactly where the bug is. It's clearly to do with translation. So I got inside Admin Zone clearing the rest of /adminzone/index.php in address bar, landing on the regular status screen in Russian, than went to Configuration, receiving this one with broken styles and in English  You see js cache again.

Getting back I receive this

Than going further to Site options, There were 93 of them supposed to be rendered on the screen… But what we see is actually much more shorter list, as it was once before, remember? There were no any Advanced options left, sadly.

Hope I've explained comprehensively.  I'd be happy to send you password for you to access my Admin panel if it's necessary. Thank you.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

once I happened to live in SE23, Forest Hill, there were nice neighbors there, I recall.

Small world, my Aunt lives there.

You see js cache again.

You might need to clear your browser cache too. The AAC makes the browser do it's own cacheing, but if you turn it off then it may still remember.
Actually I see the next issue stopped you turning it off too. So…

Than going further to Site options, There were 93 of them supposed to be rendered on the screen… But what we see is actually much more shorter list, as it was once before, remember? There were no any Advanced options left, sadly.

I do remember. I've looked through your screenshot, and you only have the *'d categories showing up:
Caches
Archives
*SMTP
*General
Validation
Upload
Environment
Preview
Closed site
*Java/FTP uploading
*Comcode
Logging
Advanced

All I can think is if the other category names are somehow failing to be looked up in Russian or they are translated to the same thing (which will confuse it). Possible fix attached.
Attachment
adminzone/pages/modules/admin_config.php
» Download: admin_config.php (50 Kb, 192 downloads so far)

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

All I can think is if the other category names are somehow failing to be looked up in Russian or they are translated to the same thing (which will confuse it). Possible fix attached.

In your estimation when you say 'possible' how likely this is to occur? To me it sounds as 50-50 at best. But it worked .  I've discovered before that whenever I put or remove checker at 'Detect language from browser' the page renders full or short list of categories. Hence it is obviously to do with my translation. My guess this depends of translated or not translated options names. If something missing the system doesn't show ones. Some names I did not tend to translate. Because there aren't adequate Russian associations for certain abbreviation or even the whole term. It'd better stay English as it was. For example SMTP, Host, Port and so on. This might has been a reason. 
Back to the top

1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None
Control functions:

Quick reply   Expand