HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS. ocPortal 9 is superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

ocPortal Version 5

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Released on Thursday 22nd of July

They're there for me:

Version 5 – ocPortal.com

Eric DeMars . com
My electronic portfolio and personal site. Uses ocPortal!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in training

I download from this page yesterday. https://ocportal.com/site/sites.htm

Ahhhh…. After looking at page now the boxes that would appear after clicking "Go" were for v4 yesterday and v5rc1 would be in a red box to the right. I now see that only v5 is available there.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

ocPortal v5 is out of RC I believe, so the download is now 5.0, not 4.x anymore.

Eric DeMars . com
My electronic portfolio and personal site. Uses ocPortal!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

I am loving v5!!
Although, I can't seem to generate an upgrade package from the RC1 to the RTM. I am getting the error, "Version 5.0 RC1 is not recognised."  Sorry, I would have asked about this in the appropriate forum, but the link from the news page ("Any common upgrade problems are being tracked in this forum topic.") doesn't work.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Working on this now.

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Support me on Patreon
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

My upgrade from 4.3 to 5 rc1 was fairly easy given the amount of changes in the new version, and the upgrade from 5 rc1 to 5.0 was a breeze.:cool:

Thanks to Chris and ocPortal for making these transitions processes easier each time!

I was happily surprised that there were no more ftp setup to try and remember how to configure, as the interface simply takes you to the finish line with a minimum fuss and you quickly get rewarded with the latest most advanced version of ocPortal 5.0.:)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Then you've either been smarter or luckier than me, Jean. Probably the former.

I had to do a complete reinstall from 4.3.2 to 5.0 RC1. Then a complete reinstall from that to 5.0 Final.

For some reason the upgrader refused to recognise that i had an ocP site installed and configured on both occasions, so it 'forced' me to go the install route.

Wonder what I did wrong?

Take my advice. I'm not using it!

View my working ocPortal site (version 9.x.x) at Anglo-Indian Portal
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Do you mean the upgrade file generator in the news articles said it could not find version 5? That was definitely broken – found out on Friday and fixed this morning.
If some other problem, please explain.

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Support me on Patreon
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

@Fletch
I'm sorry to hear about your upgrade problems.

In my case, and because I'm always experimenting with Themes and preparing tutorials, I installed many different copies of ocPortal with different versions. Sometimes these installations were on sub-domains with many others directly on sub-folders from my public_html. At one point last year I had 67 ocPortal sites installed, each with a different sub-domain for a student project. My biggest problem was to store the FTP information properly so that I could retrieve it when needed for each upgrade. When this information was wrongly entered, the upgrader could not pursue its task and I had to dig for the correct information. However, entering the correct FTP specs always gave me a successful upgrade.

This is why I was surprised that from 5 rc1 to 5.0 I was not ask to fill the FTP info (the upgrader remembered). If this is part of the new features, upgrades will be the easiest thing to do from now on.;)

Here is an illustration of the required FTP specs for previous versions:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

On this specifically, two things are at play.

1) You are now on the v5 upgrader (when upgrading to v5 you would have still been on the v4 upgrader).

2) We made it smarter, so that on servers where the web server runs with decent credentials it detects than and can forget about the whole FTP-loopback thing.

(We don't save the passwords, would be quite a major security violation)

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

Do you mean the upgrade file generator in the news articles said it could not find version 5? That was definitely broken – found out on Friday and fixed this morning.
If some other problem, please explain.

I put it down to my ineptitude and didn't get too 'bent-out-of-shape' about it, and I didn't pause to make a note of the error message.

Briefly, from a swiss-cheese memory …

1. I FTP'd the files for RC1 to the server and ran 'install' - it 'advised' me that I should 'upgrade' - but when I tried to run the 'upgrader' it told me to go away and 'install' instead, as something (some file) was missing!

2. I did the install as it really didn't matter to me. I don't have a current site and in any case the new files were going to carry an ocp_5_ prefix. Lost all the themeing I'd managed to accomplish so far!

3. Same story with version 5.0 final, and almost the same order, but I was defiant this time and said 'UPGRADE' (dammit!). It tried, but gave me the old 'a file is missing' error message, and since I didn't bother to make a note, I can't tell you what it referenced.

4. Brand new install and a brand new build, because the installation wiped out everything that existed by overwriting it. Forunately the new theme's files and folders were safe on the server and the links/URLs haven't changed, and I've managed to claw back most of it.

An added frustration is that I switched web hosts and my old site expired on 22nd July. I thought I'd been careful in saving files and databases, in CSV and SQL formats, but I now find that trying to 'import' the DB information is a nightmare as most of the tables have changed.

Oh, well!

:$

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

If you upload the manual package files you need to be sure not to upload the blank info.php file, as that will stop the existing install running.

As for importing an old database, that should work so long as you then go into upgrader.php and do the database upgrade option.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

If you upload the manual package files you need to be sure not to upload the blank info.php file, as that will stop the existing install running.

GOTCHA …

Chris Graham said

As for importing an old database, that should work so long as you then go into upgrader.php and do the database upgrade option.

… and GOTCHA!

:thumbs:

Back to the top

There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Quick reply   Contract

Your name:
Your message: