HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS. ocPortal 9 is superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

Launchpad Help, FAQ and Support Thread

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:

Fan in training

Ask here if you need any translation help!

Thank you very much Chris.  That got me in the right direction.

The site is still not in Spanish though.

When I run the Criticise language pack feature, the site switches to Spanish, relocates all of the blocks on top of each other (rather than standard layout of across and down the page), and I get Translation Fault on every file.

Let me know what you think might be the problem.

Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Hi,

1. The "on top of each other" issue seems to be due to the "dir" string (called "ltr" in Launchpad I think) being set to "I–>D". It should be "ltr" (the same as English). This is in the global language file. Also "en_left" (called "left" in Launchpad I think) should be "left" and "en_right" (called "right" in Launchpad I think) should be "right". There's a temptation to change these strings in language packs when translating bet they actually perform a technical function and would only really want changing in right-to-left languages like Arabic or Hebrew.
  2. "and I get Translation Fault on every file". Thanks for noting– we'll fix this.
  3. The reason the language choice isn't picking up is ocPortal is reading the web browsers choice of language. This is meant to be off-by-default (many people don't set it right), but ocPortal is not respecting the config option choice. I am attaching the fix for this.
    Attachment
    sources/lang.php
    » Download: lang.php (30 Kb, 432 downloads so far)

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Support me on Patreon
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Honoured member

Hi Chris,

Sorry it took so long, but I'm back and (re-)start translating to Dutch 4.2.0 on Launchpad.
I can't promise any time line or guaranteed hours, I just work when I can, thats it.

Question: Can you, or anybody else, please copy the existing Dutch language to a second language Dutch? Call the first one 'Dutch_formal' and the second 'Dutch_unformal'. The difference is that we use in Dutch unformal personal words but when it comes to commercial sites, most use the formal way of writing. In English there are both 'You' but not in Dutch and Belgium. Some Dutch is often also understand in South Africa.

Greetings Puran

21-7-1955 - 24-10-2011 I hope she rest in peace and I hope to see you soon.  Puran
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Hi,

Question: Can you, or anybody else, please copy the existing Dutch language to a second language Dutch? Call the first one 'Dutch_formal' and the second 'Dutch_unformal'. The difference is that we use in Dutch unformal personal words but when it comes to commercial sites, most use the formal way of writing. In English there are both 'You' but not in Dutch and Belgium. Some Dutch is often also understand in South Africa.

Unfortunately that's not possible on Launchpad :(.

Become a fan of Composr on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter. Support me on Patreon
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Honoured member

Hi Chris,

Then we do it by hand after the formal translation is ready. Thats not so much work.

See you, greetings Puran.

Last edit: by Puran

21-7-1955 - 24-10-2011 I hope she rest in peace and I hope to see you soon.  Puran
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

Chris,
I have the same problem as Sw13r: all blocks are on top of each other, after I uploaded Dutch po-files to /lang-custom and changed language setting to Dutch. The cause seems to be another than you suggested:

1. The on top of each other issue seems to be due to the dir string (called ltr in Launchpad I think) being set to I€>D. It should be ltr (the same as English). This is in the global language file. Also en_left (called left in Launchpad I think) should be left and en_right (called right in Launchpad I think) should be right. There's a temptation to change these strings in language packs when translating bet they actually perform a technical function and would only really want changing in right-to-left languages like Arabic or Hebrew. said

because in my Dutch global language file, the string "ltr" is left untranslated and "en_left" and "en_right" are as you suggest. Also, utf-8 is used as suggested. Would you have any other suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance

Frits

Last edit: by Frits
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Hi,

This threw me a bit too. It's because on the first page of the Launchpad global.po translation screen you're actually seeing the description of the field, rather than the real field. Literally it is this bit from our global.ini…

Code

[descriptions]
dir=English: ltr. Explanation: The direction. Western languages are 'ltr' (left-to-right), whilst languages such as Arabic are 'rtl' (right-to-left).
If you go to the second page you'll see the real ltr entry which has already been (mis)translated to lnr. This corresponds to this bit of our global.ini…

Code

[strings]
dir=ltr

It's a bit confusing but Launchpad tries to translate both the field descriptions we have, and the fields, and you can't see very easily because Launchpad hides things a bit.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

Thanks Chris, that will probably do the trick. :thumbs:

I corrected the 'mistranslations' back to the original strings and will try if it works correctly now. I'll let you know.

Frits
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

That worked indeed, so I'm very glad. There is one thing, however. Some translations contain little mistakes, that I'd like to correct. When using Launchpad, it's not easy to find strings if you don't know where to look. Searching strings is not well developed. So I'd like to find these strings in OcPortal. Unfortunately, choosing "criticise language pack" leads to a list of all language packs not being translated (which is obviously not correct). In other words, I'm stuck here. Does anybody know how to correct this?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't fully understand, but…

The best thing to do might be to open the .po files in a text editor like ConTEXT, and use that to do the search (.po files are a text format). Around the strings you can find the ocPortal language code and the original English.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Fan in action

Chris, thanks for your help. I found a workaround for this. I cannot use the "criticise language pack" option, but I can use the "translate/rephrase language" option in the style menu. In that way, I can search through the individual po files and correct mistakes at Launchpad and re-import the translations. Works fine for me!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

hi, i have a little problem…
i dont know how i can import language from Launchpad.
i m translating in spanish in the launchpad, but after that? what i must do?
thanks very much..
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

hi, i have found instruccion, sorry for the first post!!  but.. now…
i have upload es language in the folder but i have many errors now in the site.
Any help?
Thanks very much!!!!

this is the stak trace

PHP WARNING [2] Wrong parameter count for mb_substr() in /htdocs/public/fenaco/sources/symbols.php on line 63 (version: 4.2.2, PHP version: 4.4.9, URL: /site/index.php?page=start)
Here is the stack trace:

Below is a stack trace revealing the state the software was in when the error occurred. If this represents a bug in the unmodified software, you may want to check FENACO website for a fix, and if there isn't one, report this as a bug. Please note that merely posting a stack trace is not sufficient for us to solve your problem; the stack trace is just an aid that presents us with additional information. We still need to know the error message, what you tried to do, how you tried to do it, version numbers, and any other appropriate information.
We apologise for this problem and if it's a bug we hope you will work with us so that we can fix it for you promptly.
File    '/htdocs/public/fenaco/sources/failure.php'
Line    '538'
Function    'get_html_trace'
Args    

File    '/htdocs/public/fenaco/sources/global2.php'
Line    '807'
Function    '_fatal_exit'
Args    

'PHP WARNING [2] Wrong parameter count for mb_substr() in /htdocs/public/fenaco/sources/symbols.php on line 63'

File    '/htdocs/public/fenaco/sources/failure.php'
Line    '147'
Function    'fatal_exit'
Args    

'PHP WARNING [2] Wrong parameter count for mb_substr() in /htdocs/public/fenaco/sources/symbols.php on line 63'

File    '/htdocs/public/fenaco/sources/global2.php'
Line    '678'
Function    '_ocportal_error_handler'
Args    

'warning'

'Wrong parameter count for mb_substr()'

'/htdocs/public/fenaco/sources/symbols.php'

Function    'ocportal_error_handler'
Args    

'Wrong parameter count for mb_substr()'

'/htdocs/public/fenaco/sources/symbols.php'

array ( 'in' => 'panel_left', 'from' => 0, 'amount' => 6, )

File    '/htdocs/public/fenaco/sources/symbols.php'
Line    '63'
Function    'mb_substr'
Args    

'panel_left'

File    '/htdocs/public/fenaco/sources/symbols.php'
Line    '1,410'
Function    'ocp_mb_substr'
Args    

'panel_left'

File    '/htdocs/public/fenaco/sources/tempcode.php(136
2) : eval()\'d code'
Line    '1'
Function    'evaluate_conventional_variable'
Args    

'ES'

array ( )

'SUBSTR'

array ( 0 => 'panel_left', 1 => '0', 2 => '6', )

File    '/htdocs/public/fenaco/sources/tempcode.php'
Line    '1,362'
Function    'eval'

Line    '744'
Function    'evaluate'
Class    'ocp_tempcode'
Type    '->'
Args    

Line    '903'
Function    'handle_symbol_preprocessing'
Args    

array ( 0 => array ( ), 1 => 0, 2 => 'LOAD_PANEL', 3 => array ( 0 => 'left', ), )

NULL

File    '/htdocs/public/fenaco/sources/site.php'
Line    '745'
Function    'handle_symbol_preprocessing'
Class    'ocp_tempcode'
Type    '->'
Args    

File    '/htdocs/public/fenaco/site/index.php'
Line    '51'
Function    'do_site'
Args    
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

thanks Chris, i go now to see it!!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

oopss… just one more thing…
do u know where i can setup the script for the language spanish?… all special caracters are displyed as  strange symbols like this ( compaƱero) and this start just from the moment that I start tu put the files of spanish language. thanks very much for ur help!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Hi,

I think that was a bug we fixed too. I'm sure it'll be fixed in 4.3 RC3.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

so, changing this line
 if (function_exists('mb_substr')) return mb_substr($in,$from,$amount);
it fix  the problem in the code, but not in the body of content, example when i write something in the welcome page…. there are not solutions?
thanks so much Chris!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Hi,

ocPortal is supposed to override the 'charset' to utf-8 regardess of what the translation says, which would make the characters display, but I think there was a bug in 4.2.2.

Please on here:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ocportal/4.2.0/+pots/global/es/+translate?start=10
try changing 'ISO-8859-1' to 'utf-8'.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

ok…. but dont understand the last one…
i must try to change utf8 where? the link that u have posted is the link to launchpad….
i have tryed to change it and have save, but now? i try to download all files now after this change?
thanks, and sorry for my bad english!
Back to the top

There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Quick reply   Expand