HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS, which is now in beta. ocPortal 9 will be superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

ocPortal 7.1.5 released - Comments

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]

ocPortal 7.1.5 released

Posted 06 September 2011, 3:10 PM

7.1.5 released. Read the full article for a list of changes, and upgrade information.

Read more

Two things:

1) Is the database change the only change in 7.1.5? There is no change lot documenting anything else.

2) My database is utf8_unicode_ci. DO I need to run the command you suggested with utf8 substituted for 'latin1'?

Code

$SITE_INFO['database_charset']='utf8';

Thanks for any help.

Bob

There is a changelist, but it's under an expander.

If you have any trouble, please try that line, or if that fails, try with latin1. Hopefully there will be no trouble.

Man, I looked and looked for the expander and still missed it. I think this is going to be one of those days.

Thanks for the clarification on the command line.

Bob

Don't feel too bad, Bob. I missed it also. I went so far as to clicking on the "View all" button three different time thinking each time it would show the fixes.  :$

It has been one of those days and I think I need to start sleeping more than a few hours a night. My batteries don't last as long as they used to.  :(

Steve-

I swear I did the same thing - clicking that "View all" button.

Yeah, sleep is good. I'd go for a walk to take the edge off but I have allergies and between the wind and the pollen, I'd be a wreck by the time I got back home.

I think I need to move back to California near the ocean - never had the allergy issues until I moved to the desert.

Bob

ok whats up with this? is it a conspiracy or something? I waited and waited to download 7.1.4 and finally did and just installed it on a new site and the very next day there is a new version and funny thing is the exact same things happend on 7.1.2 and 7.1.3 when I first discovered ocPortal it was on 7.1.2 so thats what I downloaded and started playing with but then almost immediately 7.1.3 came out so ok so no prob for the live site I figure I'll wait and upload that to the live site I wanted to build and when I finally did the very next day 7.1.4 is out lol so I am like ok no biggie got lots of setting up to do first and I'll wait a bit cause looks like they may still be working ourt some kinks but then it was all quiet and I thought hmmm 7.1.4 must be fairly stabalized and it safe to use it on a new live site so off I go to install again and whamo next day here we are at 7.1.5 lol You guys wanna stop watching my IP for downloads before you release please?!?! lol

All jokes aside it is quite good to see you guys are very active on releasing changes and fixes quickly! It is refreshing. Question though ((and maybe this is answered somewhere on a page for 7.1.5 that I haven't looked at yet so sorry if it is) but will I have to do anything major to upgrade that one site from 7.1.3? Do I have to upgrade to 7.1.4 first or can I go straight to 7.1.5?

Do I have to upgrade to 7.1.4 first or can I go straight to 7.1.5?

You can jump. Our upgrade system is pretty smart :). It will generate the appropriate upgrade TAR when you fill in the form.

I lnow I jumped a couple of versions one time and everything "just worked". The updater is really quite good in ocPortal.

Bob

Chris Graham said

Do I have to upgrade to 7.1.4 first or can I go straight to 7.1.5?

You can jump. Our upgrade system is pretty smart :). It will generate the appropriate upgrade TAR when you fill in the form.

The "upgrade system's" name is Chris!   :thumbs:  :lol:  

Chris, do you plan on sleeping anytime this year?  ;)

yes thank you for answering but as I got to the page for upgrading I see it is clearly written how it works lol. I figured it probably was and I should have gone and looked before asking sorry it's just I started replying the post before I had checked it out. My bad.

sholzy said

Are you suggesting that Chris is the back-end who takes requests and then packages the files up for each upgrade.

I know he's dedicated and an insomniac, but WOW!!!.   :lol:

We are fortunate to have Chris and his crew as developers. They seem to really think things through - the new themes being a perfect example of their methodical approach to doing things right.

Bob

BobS said

sholzy said

Are you suggesting that Chris is the back-end who takes requests and then packages the files up for each upgrade.

I know he's dedicated and an insomniac, but WOW!!!.   :lol:
I think its best to just let each of us decide that on our own. ;) When you look up the definition for "multi-tasking" you will find his picture.

I think if I were to say more about this, the men in black would pay a visit to my home…   :ninja2:  :ninja:

BobS said

We are fortunate to have Chris and his crew as developers. They seem to really think things through - the new themes being a perfect example of their methodical approach to doing things right.

Bob

Yes, you are correct. They are what makes ocPortal what it is. We have to be careful about what we say. We don't want them to start getting a big ego or they may decide not to associate with us common folk.  :P

:offtopic:

Ironically I do need my 7.5 hours sleep each night (although I can defer it with energy drinks), and I'm absolutely terrible at true multi-tasking (like most guys, the best I can do is just move quickly between tasks and I hope I don't get confused).

I just work hard ;).

Chris Graham said

I just work hard ;).

Yes, you do and it is greatly appreciated.

Bob

Chris Graham said

the best I can do is just move quickly

I'll have to start calling you Flash.  :thumbs:  

Around the office all you see is a blur pass by and then feel a slight breeze.

Sleep?

At my age I can't afford to waste what's left … SLEEPING!

hehehe

So, had anyone done the upgrade yet?

Was it the usual smooth go?

Bob

@Bob

Yes (4 sites - 1 is 'live'  - no theme editing).

and

Yes.

:thumbs:

Thanks, Fletch.

Need to work that into the schedule.

Bob

I love it when an update goes smoothly - less than 15 minutes to update the main site.

Of course I did a trial run yesterday on my clone site and worked out everything there (maybe 30 minutes), so I had the files on my computer to redo my customizations.

Still, it's great when software upgrades "just work". You can't say that about a lot of Open Source software.

Bob

Thats one of the points why I was switching back from Boonex to ocportal for my own sites.  :thumbs:  :)

Well, we are fortunate to have you back with us, Harry-S. Your sites areaways well thought out and interesting.

Bob

Hi,

I made the upgrade from 7.1.4 -> 7.1.5 just now. After that upgrade the German letters "š, Ų, Ł, Ŗ" weren't displayed correctly. The trick I could solve the problem was changing the following line:

$SITE_INFO['database_charset']='utf8';

to

$SITE_INFO['database_charset']='utf8_unicode_ci';

"utf_unicode_ci" is my database character set.

I always thought "utf8" and "utf_unicode_ci" will do the same, but now this.
Could someone explain me this behaviour?

Best regards
Falko

I can't explain it, but thanks for posting.

Database is utf8_general_ci. After the upgrade from 7.1.4 to 7.1.5, I had a problem with the special characters. For example:

Myrath - Tales of the Sands review - Metal-Temple.com

"‚€ceThey will be the next thing‚€; and of course, they have still a lot to make for it, a lot to learn in the path, but definitely they are going in the right way and they will be known well around the world, giving a little breath from SYMPHONYX‚€™s constant style and DREAM THEATER‚€™s"

I added the line as per your suggestion. Using "utf8", nothing changes. Using utf_general_ci, I get a "php unserialize" error… Right now all the special characters (including copy paste's from Word's dreadful - and ") are broken. :S

Hmm, try to clear all the caches via http://www.yoursite.xx/upgrader.php

That did the job for me :)

Thanks for the tip :) I did as you suggested, but the problem persists. Latest ocportal, php, mysql.

Try 'latin1'. I know that's not what the database is, but that's what it will have saved using.

Chris was right (as always). Setting it to 'latin1' and clearing the cache from upgrader.php fixed the problem :D

Show 1 more reply

1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None
Control functions:

Quick reply   Expand