The simple website I setup a couple of years has been running fine, but we are getting ready to do some improvements. It has been a couple of years since I did anything to the structure of the site, so I figured I'd jump right in by copying the current site to a test rig and do a upgrade to the latest and greatest: v7.1.5 to v9.0.6. I haven't been keeping up on all the 'new and improved', so I would like any info on the highlights of that big of a jump. I also found my fairly simple fixed-width theme for the 7.1.5 version, doesn't look so good in 9.0.6. I noticed there was a theme upgrader in the upgrader process, but it said something like, there is no theme upgrader for this theme. Is there a easy way to 'upgrade' my current theme, or should I just imitate the old-school theme in the new-school environment? I believe I just followed some of the very useful tutorials to get my original theme, but would like to know if any of the tutorials have been upgraded to v9, or what is different between themeing in v7 and in v9.
It has been a long enough time since I last visited this project and several brain cells have changed state from 'I can do that' to 'huh?', so any advice on getting me back on track would be greatfully appreciated.
It will be similar to a major "Life-Change", Andy. But it isn't insurmountable!
There is a wealth of information in these forums about how things went 'south' during the upgrade, as it is a major departure from how 'fings used to be', and you can find information about what the prospective users (including myself) had to do before they got back on an even keel.
I am still using (and producing) fixed-width themes, so that isn't a major problem. But the CSS has been overhauled considerably, and several templates have been amalgamated (HEADER and FOOTER spring to mind), so the best approach is to do a 'clone' of your site, try out the upgrade, establish where things have gone 'pear shaped', fix them on the clone and port all the good stuff to your live site!
I cloned the site and did an upgrade from 7.1.5 to 9.0.6. The new site didn't keep the fix-width and the side-bar is displayed full-width as well as the middle content. Is there a tutorial to get me in the right direction to fix the width and to use a full-width header image?
The current state of the broken sample is that I copied the default theme and got the custom content and structure roughed in. The main thing I'm trying to figure out (in my spare time) is getting it fixed-width and what the ultimate idea is to have the old-school header across the fixed-width top, and the 'default' menu between the header and site menu across the top. I would like this 'default' menu lit up only for administrators. Sorry, but I forgot the correct name for this 'default' menu. Its the one that is currently next to the current logo (not the final one). Very basic and old-school, but we are a simple folk down here in Conejos County, Colorado.
Can't see that you're doing anything wrong there, Andy.
When I interrogate your site with Chrome's dev tool, I see that the 100% call for the width is showing up in the #main_website property, but not #main_website_inner. I think you'll find that your CSS showing #body_inner is deprecated and needs to be #main_website#main_website_inner as I have shown.
Go back and edit again, making sure you are calling the right width in the right place, and it should revert back to the way it used to be (as shown in the attachment) …
That helps a LOT! What your clues led me to is that old-code apparently used the reference #body_inner and the new-code uses #main_website_inner . At least that is what I changed in 2 places. The code below is a fixed version of the code I added to the earlier version's end of global.css.