HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS, which is now in beta. ocPortal 9 will be superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

3.2.0 - more new features

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]

Posted
Rating:
#32194 (In Topic #7304)

More new features that will be in 3.2:
  • Autosaving of form text fields, so that form contents may be easily recovered if the web browser crashes, or the login session is lost.
  • The language editor interface is improved
  • The language editor now takes backups
  • The lost-password functionality is now a lot more user-friendly
  • A brand new HTML filter, and new hidden option, that allows members to copy&paste complex HTML into the WYSIWYG editor without it being interfered with (note that we cannot guarantee the security of this, but the HTML filter is a lot safer than the one in previous versions of ocPortal)
  • Hopeful other improvements to the WYSIWYG editor, to smooth over some problems when making complex documents (this one isn't done yet - but my intent is to get it done in the next few days)

And, to recap here is what was previously announced:
  • The new optional replacement for the hard-coded zone menu
  • A more user-friendly awards add/edit screen
  • Support for short-URLs on Windows web servers
  • Support for highly advanced URL architectures, with ocPortal being able to be split across different domain names and paths
  • Support for combining the download system with virtual filesystems
  • Better WYSIWYG editor support for Firefox
  • The OCF topicview now will show topic descriptions
  • Support for storing comment topics in different forums for different content types
  • The main_gallery_embed block will now also show videos if they are in the gallery that is being embedded. (Embedding an empty gallery will still say no entries are there)
  • The main_top_galleries block will now pick galleries arbitrarily if no galleries have ever been rated.
  • A number of little usability/stability improvements
  • Many new hidden options

Also, I am about to start updating the bug database with all the fixes that have been applied.

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Here are some more that I forgot to add to the above list:
  • Slightly improved specific permission editing interface
  • Slightly improved network-links and random-quotes editing screens
  • Videos may now be added to galleries by URL, and length/width/height autodetection will still work.
  • The installer will now detect more cases where ocPortal minimum requirements are not met.
  • The main_feedback and main_comments blocks may now be configured to use a specific forum.
  • Attachments may now be made to float left or right within the page. For this, there are 4 new attachment types- inline-float-left, inline-float-right, island-float-left, and island-float-right
  • The default feedback page will now redirect back to where it was called up from, with a friendly message, once feedback is left.
  • More parameters are now passed into certain calendar templates
  • Various unnatural little error situations caused by things like web spiders are now handled in a more clean fashion (meaning less junk in our error mail inbox :D)
  • Quizzes are now represented in the menu editor, along with the other content types that already were

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

So does this mean 3.2 is going to be out soon? :)

I run http://otakuplayground.com and am hopping to make themes and other things for ocportal even though I no longer use it for otakuplayground.com I still love it and feel it could go far with the right help. It needs themes and needs people to advertise for it.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Once I'm satisfied with this last thing:
Hopeful other improvements to the WYSIWYG editor, to smooth over some problems when making complex documents
we'll consider making the release. I don't want to delay it, but I also don't want to rush it either.

I expect it to be in the next few days, but I can't say for sure.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

I am not worried take your time, I am not in a hurry. I agree with how your going about it good job.

I run http://otakuplayground.com and am hopping to make themes and other things for ocportal even though I no longer use it for otakuplayground.com I still love it and feel it could go far with the right help. It needs themes and needs people to advertise for it.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Unfortunately I need to deannounce the first item:
Autosaving of form text fields, so that form contents may be easily recovered if the web browser crashes, or the login session is lost.

The basis for the feature has turned out to be unstable on some servers (including this one).
However, we'll leave the code there, commented out in JAVASCRIPT.tpl for re-enabling if anyone wants to try it out on their own servers.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

On a more positive note, very substantial improvements to the WYSIWYG editor have now been completed.
We'd appreciate it if people could try out the WYSIWYG in the testing forum, just to make sure there aren't any problems. There's no need for testing things like the SpellChecker, or table creation, as these are unchanged. What has changed, is how the WYSIWYG editor output is converted into Comcode when posts are submitted. So previewing, editing, and submitting:
  • documents written in the editor directly
  • documents pasted into the editor from Microsoft Word
  • documents pasted into the editor from Open Office
  • documents pasted into the editor from web pages
It's best if tests are run on both Firefox and IE.

We wouldn't normally appeal for testing in this way, but the WYSIWYG editor is one area that is very difficult for us to test alone, because it has to deal with so many different kinds of input data.
We'd like to get 3.2 out as soon as possible, but don't want to rush it out until we're confident there are any serious problems in submitting content.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

its not that big of a loose as it does not happen to much and a lot of scripts do not even have it and that might be for the same reason you took it back off.
Its a nice feature but if its any thing I have learned when typing a large post save it every so often to a text file or some times I will type it in a text file and just copy and paste I do like gmail's auto draft feature though, which I guess is the same feature, sort of.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

On a more positive note, very substantial improvements to the WYSIWYG editor have now been completed.
We'd appreciate it if people could try out the WYSIWYG in the testing forum, just to make sure there aren't any problems. There's no need for testing things like the SpellChecker, or table creation, as these are unchanged. What has changed, is how the WYSIWYG editor output is converted into Comcode when posts are submitted. So previewing, editing, and submitting:
  • documents written in the editor directly
  • documents pasted into the editor from Microsoft Word
  • documents pasted into the editor from Open Office
  • documents pasted into the editor from web pages
It's best if tests are run on both Firefox and IE.

We wouldn't normally appeal for testing in this way, but the WYSIWYG editor is one area that is very difficult for us to test alone, because it has to deal with so many different kinds of input data.
We'd like to get 3.2 out as soon as possible, but don't want to rush it out until we're confident there are any serious problems in submitting content.
  Your editor is actually more power full then the one used for IPB.
one thing I noticed while testing was it is able to paste exactly how it shows on the site you copied it from.
It does not loose the formatting, this is some thing that is lacking in other scripts such as IPB, so way to go.

Back to the top

There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Quick reply   Contract

Your name:
Your message: