HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS, which is now in beta. ocPortal 9 will be superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

v7.0.1 Zone menu items not highlighting as expected

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:
#70097 (In Topic #14847)

Community saint

I have a custom zone menu structured as follows:

Code

Home --> site:start
Forums --> forum:forumview
Collaboration Zone --> collaboration:
Content Management --> cms:cms
Admin Zone --> adminzone:
Test Zone --> testzone:start
About --> site:about
When I click on specific menu items, what actually gets highlighted is as follows:

Code

Home --> Test Zone
Forums --> Forums
Collaboration Zone --> Test Zone
Content Management --> Content Management
Test Zone --> Test Zone
About --> About

And if I click on a link in say the left panel that belongs to the home zone, no zone menu items get highlighted.

This type of strange behaviour occurs also when I use the default/auto generated zone menu.

And the behaviour is not predictable. If I change a zone menu item, what gets highlighted may also change in other items may also change.

Last edit: by temp1024

Do you have a Samsung Galaxy S / Galaxy S II ? If so, why not check out my ScreenFree FM Radio .
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

We had a change in a version fairly recently regarding how it works. Change 'site:start' to just 'site:' for the highlighting to work on a zone basis. It'll automatically go to 'start' assuming that's the default page of the zone.

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Changing to:

Code

Home --> site:
Forums --> forum:
Collaboration Zone --> collaboration:
Content Management --> cms:
Test Zone --> testzone:
About --> site:about

Now gives me this:

Code

Home --> Home
Forums --> Forums
Collaboration Zone --> Home
Content Management --> Content Management
Test Zone --> Home
About --> About & Home

So its not working consistently.

Do you have a Samsung Galaxy S / Galaxy S II ? If so, why not check out my ScreenFree FM Radio .
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

I think this will fix it, block caching bug.

Attachment
sources/blocks/side_stored_menu.php
» Download: side_stored_menu.php (4 Kb, 117 downloads so far)

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

You thought correctly. Thanks Chris!

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Spoke a little too soon.

While it fixed the main problem of things like "Collaboration Zone –> Home", I still get a double highlights for when the zone menu does not contain  "About –> About & Home".

I missed it in my last test as I had refreshed my test environment earlier to match my master site which didn't yet have the "About" menu.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Ah yes. I just took a look at your live site and I can see why. You actually need to put the page names back into the links (undoing my original advice) as you're not using it as a zone menu.

To be clear…

Under the new system, for the purpose of current-section-highlighting, a zone menu is defined as one that will highlight based on what zone you are in. Because you have two links to pages in the same zone, they will both highlight. This zone menu behaviour is triggered by the menu links being like "zone:". If you put them "zone:page" it will highlight based on what zone&page combination you are on.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Shouldn't it be also valid/logical that if it finds an exact match that it highlights only that one?

I know, its a 'zone' menu, but isn't it then more or less redundant to provide an option to customise the zone menu if you all you could/should effectively do with it is what is provided with the default zone menu behaviour?

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Some people want to make it a normal menu but have it in that position. Or, have the option to have external links on there too.
So it's got to this point based on user requests.

What you propose would not work without changing how it is implemented – currently each menu link is autonomous and therefore the menu can be represented in a direct output stream of Tempcode, which provides a decent level of performance. Particularly with large menus doing it another way can cause some measurable problems.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Fair enough.

I'll put the page names back. Highlighting zones in the menu for me was just a nice to have.

The main thing I was looking for was just getting links there with out having to create a new zone for each link, and the custom zone menu does that.

Thanks for the detailed info Chris!

Back to the top

There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Quick reply   Contract

Your name:
Your message: