HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS, which is now in beta. ocPortal 9 will be superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

v7.0.1 - Unwanted comcode tags in ULRs

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:
#72071 (In Topic #15136)

Community saint

I don't know if the problem is in the "Short URLs" or "URL monikers" feature, but my gallery image URLs contain comcode tags instead of the text which the comcode tags surround.

for example, this URL:

Code

.../site/pg/galleries/image/bf-fontgng1_8

you can see is built up from the bf comcode tag from the following content:

Code

[bf font="gng1" colour=8]Cinema room.
Another familiar character.[/bf]

I don't know if this problem is restricted to galleries, but that's the only place I have noticed it so far.

Do you have a Samsung Galaxy S / Galaxy S II ? If so, why not check out my ScreenFree FM Radio .
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

I'm not having this problem with my galleries and I have both "Short URLs" and "URL Monikers" checked. However, I have "Single public zone" checked which it appears you do not.

Even then, I get different URLs depending on whether flow-mode is enabled (URLs with query strings) or not (my file names but shortened if they are over some number of characters).

The software should leave the file name intact if "URL Monikers" and "Short URLs" are checked just removing all query strings and using a simplified path. I have carefully namedmy files and don't need the software making "improvements".

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

BobS said

I'm not having this problem with my galleries
That's probably because you don't have any comcode in the start of your image description. That's what it appears to be using to generate the URL.

I don't see how "Single public zone" has any bearing on the URL's apart from consolidation.

BobS said

The software should leave the file name intact if "URL Monikers" and "Short URLs" are checked just removing all query strings and using a simplified path.

That's probably true for "Short URLs", but for "URL monikers" it states:
Whether textual identifiers should be used in content/category URLs, instead of numeric IDs.
implying that it's the most likely cause.

Do you have a Samsung Galaxy S / Galaxy S II ? If so, why not check out my ScreenFree FM Radio .
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Good call. In sources/urls2.php:

Code

function _choose_moniker($page,$type,$moniker_src,$no_exists_check_for=NULL)
{

–>

Code

function _choose_moniker($page,$type,$moniker_src,$no_exists_check_for=NULL)
{
   $moniker_src=strip_comcode($moniker_src);

i.e. we're adding that strip_comcode line.

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Thanks Chris!

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris, don't you think that a 24 byte moniker is a bit on the low side?

Also, need to replace \n with "-" otherwise you will get nonsense words in the URL as two words blur/merge into one.

Last edit: by temp1024

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Does this change work for you as expected? (same file)

Code

$moniker=strtolower(preg_replace('#[^\w\d\_\-]#','',$moniker));
–>

Code

$moniker=strtolower(preg_replace('#[^\w\d\_\-]#','-',$moniker));

24 byte seems fine to me, I don't think people want long URLs.

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

24 byte seems fine to me, I don't think people want long URLs.

I don't think most people mind long URLs, they just don't like unintelligible URLs with query strings and meaningless tokens in them.

On my site, I am getting URLs that end with "julian-ritter-painting_6.htm". How is this preferable to "julian_ritter_painting_model_janet_in_1975.htm" which matches the page title, keywords and page content? Which of thee URLs would you prefer to receive in an email, especially if there was a list of URLs?

The above is only true when "flow-mode" is not enabled. When "flow-mode" is enable, the URLs are even less intelligible with query strings like this: "julian_ritter_pics.htm?probe_type=image&probe_id=9"

Bob

Last edit: by BobS
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

BobS said

I don't think most people mind long URLs, they just don't like unintelligible URLs with query strings and meaningless tokens in them.
My thoughts exactly. Also more real words in the URL helps search engine indexing.

I'm thinking a minimum of 50, and preferably say 64. That should give plenty of room for a few words as prefixes.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Yeah, I thought to myself earlier that 60 made sense (which, of course, translates to 64 in the computer world).

And, yes, having keywords as part of the URL will help with SEO.

I hope Chris will see that this is really a necessary change.

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

Does this change work for you as expected? (same file)

Code

$moniker=strtolower(preg_replace('#[^\w\d\_\-]#','',$moniker));
–>

Code

That results in trailing "-". But with a bit or order re-jigging, we get:

Code (php)

$moniker_src=strip_comcode($moniker_src);
        $moniker=str_replace(array('','','',''),array('ae','oe','ue','ss'),$moniker_src);
        if (strlen($moniker)>24)
        {
                $pos=strrpos(substr($moniker,0,24),'-');
                if (($pos===false) || ($pos<12)) $pos=24;
                $moniker=rtrim(substr($moniker,0,$pos),'--');
        }
        $moniker=preg_replace('#\-+#','-',$moniker);
Note that with the strtolower line now in line 3, we no longer need to replace ' ' in row 2.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris, looks like there is a bug in the suggest_new_idmoniker_for function which is resulting in multiple monikers for the same resource _id.

While the function test for uniqueness across all resource types, it does an insert without first checking if it can do an update for the specific resource_id.

This might be a deliberate attempt to maintain historical links, and if it is I don't think it should. Old out-of-date links are better of 404ing.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

@ suggested further code changes – yes, agreed thanks, and done a bit more tweaking

@ lengthening. I am not opposed in principle but you have the benefit of looking from a very limited set of criteria. I can almost guarantee that if we change it things will break for people. For example, long URLs may make DB fields overflow, may break in email software that doesn't handle multi-line wordwrapping right, may force people on some Twitter clients to go through a URL shortener, may annoy people on screenreaders in some situations, and so on. If we do allow longer ones, it would have to be an option, but as there is no new release coming soon, it's not going to happen so I suggest considering making/commissioning an addon or working out how to manually change the code.

@ temp1024 latest comment. It absolutely must not 404 if the links change. Imagine someone changing a title and suddenly a load of links being broken. ocPortal tracks this and does proper 301 redirects to the new URLs. It only goes through this function if it knows that the moniker is no longer ideal after an edit, which would be caused by editing the title, or in this case simply by the code changes resulting in better monikers.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

@ suggested further code changes – yes, agreed thanks, and done a bit more tweaking
Yea, I saw other white space related tweaks that could have been done, but restrained myself from looking too hard at it :lol: .

Can you please post the updated version.
@ lengthening. I am not opposed in principle but you have the benefit of looking from a very limited set of criteria. I can almost guarantee that if we change it things will break for people.
I was afraid that that might be the case. I know any time the length of something changes it can be dicey if its not thought out properly.
@ temp1024 latest comment. It absolutely must not 404 if the links change. Imagine someone changing a title and suddenly a load of links being broken. ocPortal tracks this and does proper 301 redirects to the new URLs. It only goes through this function if it knows that the moniker is no longer ideal after an edit, which would be caused by editing the title, or in this case simply by the code changes resulting in better monikers.
OK, so its deliberate and I see your point.

I suppose because I wasn't seeing any notifications about a change in URL, I thought that it could have been an oversight.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Attachment
» Download: urls2.php (20 Kb, 83 downloads so far)

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Thanks!

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

@ lengthening. I am not opposed in principle but you have the benefit of looking from a very limited set of criteria. I can almost guarantee that if we change it things will break for people. For example, long URLs may make DB fields overflow, may break in email software that doesn't handle multi-line wordwrapping right, may force people on some Twitter clients to go through a URL shortener, may annoy people on screenreaders in some situations, and so on. If we do allow longer ones, it would have to be an option, but as there is no new release coming soon, it's not going to happen so I suggest considering making/commissioning an addon or working out how to manually change the code.

This is understandable but quite unfortunate. The added keywords in the URLs would be a significant benefit for SEO while to shorter ones might even see a slight penalty for what appears as very similar (possible duplicates) URLs.

Bob
Back to the top

There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Quick reply   Contract

Your name:
Your message: