HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS, which is now in beta. ocPortal 9 will be superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

[v7.0.1] Downloads + Facebook Like Button

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:
#70654 (In Topic #14931)

Community saint

Trying to add the facebook like button to a downloads based site.

Like Button - Facebook Developers
Is there a specific URL I need to add? I tried leaving it blank and adding the base url. I easily get the code looking right, but when clicked to LIKE, an error pops up. The sanples below are the URL being left blank.

FILE EDITED – DOWNLOAD_SCREEN.TPL

how it looks when visited first time:

how it looks after liking:

I can refresh the page and it the error goes away. Just wondering if this is gonna cause problems later?

Last edit: by Eric

Eric DeMars . com
My electronic portfolio and personal site. Uses ocPortal!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Update:

Changed to a different download and clicked "Like". Get that same error message but then the "Like" doesn't stick and acts like I didn't like it.

Decided to go back to the first one I clicked "Like" for and results are the same. Acts like I didn't "Like" it.

Doesn't show on 'my' facebook page either that I liked it.

So obviously there's something else i need to do. :lol:

Eric DeMars . com
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Our Facebook addon puts a like button inside the main_screen_actions block, which is included on this page via turning on a certain config option (can't remember what that option is off-hand, but you'll see it in the template).

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

I see the "Share", but not "Like" in the BLOCK_MAIN_SCREEN_ACTIONS.tpl

Eric DeMars . com
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

ah maybe I am wrong then

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Was hoping it could be simple like in WordPress for their blogging… lol

Hopefully, someone who's using facebook like's on their ocPortal site can help me.  :thumbs:

Eric DeMars . com
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Actually… I am right. If the Facebook addon (I'm referring to the non-bundled one) is installed, you get what I said, and also a main_facebook_like block.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

I was able to click on that error word… was a link

"The page at http://xxxxxxxx.xxx/site/index.php?page=downloads&type=entry&id=category%2Fsubcategory%2Fdownload-title could not be reached because the server returned status code 503."

Eric DeMars . com
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

oh, non guest-accessible cat? Would make sense, Facebook can't probe the URL you're at.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

No idea what I am looking for then. I see in the add-ons "Facebook". But being code illiterate, I have no idea what I am looking for and where.

Eric DeMars . com
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Okay... will make a guest enabled one.

Eric DeMars . com
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Site is Open (was closed), Guest enabled in Downloads…

Got a 401 code error now.

Will figure this out later. 5:30am here.

Thanks for responding Chris.  :thumbs:

Eric DeMars . com
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

Actually… I am right. If the Facebook addon (I'm referring to the non-bundled one) is installed, you get what I said, and also a main_facebook_like block.

Where is this so I can activate it and play around with it later on?

Eric DeMars . com
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Disregard!!!!!

Found the LIKE block and added it nicely!

Eric DeMars . com
Back to the top

1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None
Control functions:

Quick reply   Contract

Your name:
Your message: