HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS, which is now in beta. ocPortal 9 will be superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

v6.0.3 problem with PDF attachments

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:
#68165 (In Topic #14499)

Community saint

files are uploaded with a .dat extension

I was about to report a PDF attachments problem with versions (5.0.3 to 6.0.2) when I noticed the latest upgrade 6.0.3 and took this opportunity to see if the problem was still present.

Including v.6.0.3, PDF could not be downloaded and tests indicated that the files were saved on the server with a .dat extension.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Attachment
» Download: E262-3.pdf (1.16 Mb, 1673 downloads so far)

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

It works to download for me, but it seems Google Chrome's embedded PDF viewer is very buggy, lots of people are having problems:
pdf files not loading in Google Chrome - Google Chrome Help
(there's threads and bug reports like this all over)
I don't think there's anything we can do except suggest people download the PDFs or disable Chrome's built in viewer.

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Actually I can see the huge download count for the attachment, might be some issue with resuming, looking into...

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Thank you for your response and for looking into this matter.
Hopefully Google Chrome will correct this anomaly.

I'm also having the same problem with Firefox 4.

Meanwhile, a good workaround is to zip pdf's.

Chris said

Actually I can see the huge download count for the attachment, might be some issue with resuming, looking into…
I've noticed after previewing an attachment that the count is showing high before it is added as a post;
saw 15 for a .doc and 5 a moment ago for a zip attachment.

Thanks,
Jean
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

What are the symptoms on Firefox exactly?

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

What are the symptoms on Firefox exactly?
Cannot see evidence in my computer that the document was downloaded. However, I did not search more than the obvious places, as I'm running out of time to get to my classes. Will investigate this further tomorrow.

Here is the FF4 page:

Good Day!
Jean
Back to the top

1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None
Control functions:

Quick reply   Contract

Your name:
Your message: