HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS, which is now in beta. ocPortal 9 will be superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

v6.0.1 Problems with polls

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:
#67795 (In Topic #14439)

Community saint

Here are my problems:

1) I have two users logged in on my pc, Admin in one browser, and testMember in another browser. When one of them, say testMember, votes in a poll, the other user can not vote (if they go the the poll or refresh the browser after testMember has voted).

As these are two different logged in members I expected them both to be able to vote (you can have multiple users per location/household). According to the documentation, guest voter blocking is based on IP address, which is fine, but it appears that that is being applied to members as well and the documentation implies that is should not (nor would I expect it to).

2) After voting, the correct results are not shown in on my main page when the user refreshes their browser: but, are correctly shown in the poll archive

Do you have a Samsung Galaxy S / Galaxy S II ? If so, why not check out my ScreenFree FM Radio .
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

I have checked the documentation and it is ambiguous, but the natural reading is what you've read, which yes is not the case. IP addresses are used to restrict members. I don't think this is a design flaw, as it is quite likely members on some sites will try registering multiple accounts to cheat the poll. So it's a trade-off, do you want to allow cheats, or lock out a minority? It really depends doesn't it.

I've added a new hidden option to change the behaviour.

Put this into OcCLE:

Code

:set_value('poll_no_member_ip_restrict','1');

And upload this:
Attachment
sources/polls.php
» Download: polls.php (18 Kb, 80 downloads so far)

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

I don't think this is a design flaw, as it is quite likely members on some sites will try registering multiple accounts to cheat the poll. So it's a trade-off, do you want to allow cheats, or lock out a minority? It really depends doesn't it.
I see what you mean, there is no single answer. And the decision is made even harder when most ISPs provide there users with dynamic IP addresses which means there will potentially be many users that will be presented with another chance to vote simply because their ISP changed their IP address.

Hmmm, need to think about it a bit more

Attachment
» Download: poll_error.doc (39 Kb, 78 downloads so far)

Do you have a Samsung Galaxy S / Galaxy S II ? If so, why not check out my ScreenFree FM Radio .
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

This file was sources/polls.php I think you overwrote site/pages/modules/polls.php.

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Darn, I forgot to remove the attachmant.

Your right, I did in fact overwrite the wrong file, but I realised and fixed it before I posted the reply.

Back to the top

There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Quick reply   Contract

Your name:
Your message: