HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS, which is now in beta. ocPortal 9 will be superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

Upgrading ver.5.0.3 to 6RC2

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:
#67239 (In Topic #14342)

Community saint

Upgrader.php or browser reports "done" on blank screen after step3

Jean said

View topic: Upgrade issues - 6 beta2 - ocPortal
Upgrading ver.5.0.3 to 6 beta2
After step3 it stays for 5 minutes at loading…ocPortal upgrader followed by a blank page with "done" at bottom left.

After verification back with upgrader.php it is clear that nothing was upgraded
ftp to server indicates no files have changed
ftp'ed tar file 5.0.3-6 beta2.tar to server makes no difference in time and result
updating server's upgrader.php with latest copy does not help
changing htaccess with known working copy of a 6 beta2 upgraded site does nothing

I was hoping not to have to expand the tar file manually to complete this upgrade by possibly finding the cause or solution here, thanks! ;)

Chris said

View topic: Upgrade issues - 6 beta2 - ocPortal
We changed every PHP file in v6, and it seems the upgrader can't cope efficiently with that. I'm working on a fix now.
I know that version 6 is still in development, so please take this post as just a reminder that I continue not being able to upgrade from 5.0.3 if the cause has not been addressed yet.

However, I finally succeeded following this method, but not sure if there was an easier way:
  1. Uploaded TAR to website.
  2. Replaced old upgrader.php with new one in tar file.
  3. Ran upgrader again with corrected URL. Same result as described above.
  4. Looked for ways to extract TAR directly from c-Panel or FTP without success.
  5. Extracted TAR with 7-Zip in my computer and FTP’ed  2000 plus files to server.
  6. Ran upgrader with total swift success!
By the way, this “File integrity scan option with automatic theme upgrading” is a formidable addition as I saw it worked wonders to the HEADER.tpl and Global.css of an older theme, but I would like to know more about what it can do.

For instance, I added another theme 5.0.3 version after the upgrade and launched upgrader to run just the “File integrity scan option with automatic theme upgrading”, but it did nothing to my additional theme.

• So, is it limited to the actual “default-main theme or, will it upgrade any theme on the list of installed ones?
  • What exactly is being upgraded? All templates and CSS, or just selected ones?
In my opinion, the potential for keeping “themes” up to date with such a tool is critical to help alleviate the lack of themes for ocPortal, if at least we can keep the existing pool up to date.
Can this be the tool?

Thanks,
Jean
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Hi,

Other than to make sure the workaround is clear in the final v6 announcement there's unfortunately nothing we can do about the 5.0.3 upgrade because the upgrader is already out with the bug in the version you come from.

The theme upgrader is far from perfect but it will work on everything. It'll only work if the .editfrom files in the css_custom/templates_custom directories are still there. It works by doing something called a "three-way diff merge" – it looks at the latest default files, the files your theme was derived from (i.e. previous default files, which are known as it is backed up to your editfrom files when you first make the theme), and your own CSS. It can identify what changed between versions doing that and apply it to your own version.
Problems include the inability for the diff algorithm to handle reorderings, that it does not actually 'understand' any of the code, and that generally user modifications (or possibly even theme wizard modifications) can knock it off track.

Regarding how many themes there current are for v6, we 'currently have nothing to announce' (which is different from me just saying nothing at all ;)).

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

Hi,

Other than to make sure the workaround is clear in the final v6 announcement there's unfortunately nothing we can do about the 5.0.3 upgrade because the upgrader is already out with the bug in the version you come from.
Thanks for this info Chris, but what is the workaround? Is it what I've done, or it it simpler?
The theme upgrader is far from perfect but it will work on everything. It'll only work if the .editfrom files in the css_custom/templates_custom directories are still there. It works by doing something called a "three-way diff merge" – it looks at the latest default files, the files your theme was derived from (i.e. previous default files, which are known as it is backed up to your editfrom files when you first make the theme), and your own CSS. It can identify what changed between versions doing that and apply it to your own version.
Problems include the inability for the diff algorithm to handle reorderings, that it does not actually 'understand' any of the code, and that generally user modifications (or possibly even theme wizard modifications) can knock it off track.
This is still great. It's just a matter of keeping the .editfrom and testing the changes. It may not be all that intuitive on complex themes, but it will certainly help a great deal on my kinds of themes anyway. If I can run the upgrader at anytime to test my themes, I will create a site with all my themes together and pass them through the ropes for each upgrade as they become available and take it from there.
Regarding how many themes there current are for v6, we 'currently have nothing to announce' (which is different from me just saying nothing at all ;)).
I'm working on one now, but unfortunately, I got bogged down after I wanted to move it from a Windows Webmatrix localhost to a clean installed v.6rc2 as an addon theme. It seems that everything I setup in my global.css winthin this declaration:

Code

{+START,IF,{$CONFIG_OPTION,fixed_width}}{+START,IF,{$NOT,{$MOBILE}}}
Refused to be recognized until moved out to the bottom of the file. It was working perfectly in 6 beta2. Trying to compare both version, I may have introduced a bog somewhere, as otherwise I made sure the "fixed width" was declared in the setup options. I find it too bad not to be able to use that section for future upgrades, so therefore, the theme will be delayed until I can make a new global.css that works.;)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Jean said

this “File integrity scan option with automatic theme upgrading” is a formidable addition …
Yes, it surely IS, but it needs to be treated with an element of circumspection.

As Chris has explained, and as I found out the last time I used it (a while ago, now), when I had to scurry around trying to put my 'humpty-dumpty' site back together again … !!

Take my advice. I'm not using it!

View my working ocPortal site (version 9.x.x) at Anglo-Indian Portal
Back to the top

There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Quick reply   Contract

Your name:
Your message: