HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS, which is now in beta. ocPortal 9 will be superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

Tracker item #134

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:
#74177 (In Topic #15452)

Community saint

Chris-

Do you think you could provide a bit more information here about what this mod will do. Based on your comment on item #269. it sounds like it would be able to do a one-to-many lookup using two catalogs? Is this correct?

Also, it sounds like it could be integrated with modules so that, for instance, I could find all the catalog entries tied to a user profile. This would be similar to personal blogs and galleries.

If so, this would bring a lot of additional benefits to ocPortal users.

Am I understanding this correctly or am I completely off-base?

Bob

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

No, sounds like you've got the wrong end of the stick.

It is for adding new fields to hard-coded content types.

E.g. you could add a 'Image copyright restrictions' field to gallery images.

Each content type is associated with zero or one catalogues named after that content type. The catalogue essentially extends the hard-coded behaviours of that content type.

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Well, darn. I knew it sounded too good to be true.

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

It's not entirely incompatible with your aims though – originally you were wanting to add fields to galleries :). With this you could set up personal galleries with extended schema.

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Just to be clear we are talking about personal galleries that exist in the catalogs system?

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well not quite, but in effect. Personal galleries in the galleries system, but with all the power of catalogues.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Well, that would have my interest.

It still seems to me that it would be easier to run a gallery presentation layer atop a catalog than recreating the catalog system in galleries. Unles you are saying that this new flexibility could be extended to any module.

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Unles you are saying that this new flexibility could be extended to any module.

Exactly.

It's turning catalogues into a integrated component for all CMS modules.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Okay….now you really have my interest. I've got to think through examples of where all this might be useful.

Also, would encoding need to be done in the modules source code to use these catalogs or are you saying that the catalogs themselves are extensible data automatically available to modules?

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

I'm imagining just going to "CMS > Catalogues > Edit catalogue" and empty catalogues being in there for each content type.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Hmmmmm….must spend some time digesting this. This sounds like it would add a great deal of power to ocPortal. Besides gallery type content, what other content type might you imagine? Downloads? Blogs? Members?

I'm really trying to wrap my head around this.

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well, the plan with v8 is/was/might-be to create a stronger concept of content types, and apply things consistently to them all, and make the code around them much more flexible and object-orientated. That would include everything, including members. If done outside v8, it would probably be tied into the award hooks (same thing actually, these would have been one of the parts that fused into the new content model) -- so anything you can add an award for currently.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

Well, the plan with v8 is/was/might-be….
Let's not hedge now.   ;)

I'm going to look over the award types. This could be a major step forward even as a non-v8 hack.

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Reviewing the reward types, there is pretty much every content type except IOTDs. So, even if using the award hooks, this would be a pretty comprehensive solution for most people.

So, using this system, there would be a pre-existing catalog for each content type which you could then load up with fixed content to be referred to. I am not seeing how this would allow personal galleries to have the variable information of each image, only some fixed information like a copyright notice. Is this correct? Or do I have the wrong end of the stick again?

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

I'm not quite following exactly what you mean.

The additional fields (via the catalogue) would be per content-type. So you could not say "this image may have these fields, but this other image may have these other fields". But you could add lots of optional fields that may be optionally left blank on some images, i.e. a superset of all fields you may want.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

The additional fields (via the catalogue) would be per content-type. So you could not say "this image may have these fields, but this other image may have these other fields". But you could add lots of optional fields that may be optionally left blank on some images, i.e. a superset of all fields you may want.

Using Galleries as an example. In the Image content-type catalog, there could be a copyright field. Can I then assign image A with copyright "ABC" and image B with copyright "XYZ"?

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

yes

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Thanks.

Digesting and counting my change.

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris-

Would this also allow creating a unique title for each image?

If I am understanding this correctly, you would just create a "Title" entry in the image content-type catalog.

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Yes, however these fields don't have any meaning in the system, so it won't automatically function as a title across different parts of ocPortal.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None
Control functions:

Quick reply   Expand