HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS, which is now in beta. ocPortal 9 will be superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

Seriously (v5.1.0) !! Did you all even test this yourselves? :@

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:
#64318 (In Topic #13869)

Well-settled

What's the default password and user name?

1. I am steaming mad right about now.:@
2. I don't know why I am still trying to use ocPortal and posting here.
3. The only people that are still using and are trying to use ocPortal are the thick headed and stubborn ones as me, we don't like to quit ANYTHING!!
4. I know (v5.1.0) is beta but really!!! try it, INSTALL IT and see NO OPTION to add admin username and pass!
5. The phpbb3 integrate still BLOWS hard!
6. The reason it blows because ocPortal still is installing into the phpbb3 database. NO OPTION to use a separate database when I choose the phpbb3 forums! Allow to use one database for ocPortal and do not allow ocPortal to install into the phpbb3 database, keep the databases SEPARATE!

If I missed anything or if I overlooked anything and I am blowing out my mouth for no reason
I apologize.

ooh and your Topic's emoticon did not work (mouse click) for me I wanted to add lots of these :@
I copied and pasted one! :P

And yes I now that I can look at the info.php file for the pass that I never had the chance to add or even change, that pass doesn't work with the phpbb3 admin name.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Seriously Violative, I don't see why you have to get all upset about a beta that does not behave the way you'd expect a final release to.

Keywords here are:
A "Beta" is for the sole purpose of experimentation and for willing participants to share their findings and suggestions.
"Upgrading is not recommended for live sites" That says it all; it is not yet stable enough for final upgrades.

I'm sure you know all this and you are just jesting!;)
In fact, you are actually testing it, which is a good thing.:thumbs:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

I am going to look into the usability again here, but essentially there are two things you've not realised and nothing has actually changed…
  1. there's an option on the first screen that you have to say 'yes' to for settings to use separate databases
  2. normal phpBB logins are used

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Ok, I've had a chance to take a look at this now.

1. On the third screen (sorry, not first as I said before), there is a Yes/No selection about this. You need to select 'Yes'.
  2. On the fourth screen you need to make sure your forum base URL is correct as it isn't auto-detected.
  3. Normal phpBB logins are used.

Now, I always try and treat these things positively. I don't like to see outbursts, but it's understandable given there are lots of options, etc. I decided to take a look at the latest beta of Drupals installation (the most popular 'advanced' CMS at the moment) to compare, and I found that quite hideous:
  • I had to manually copy a config file to get the installer going
  • The minimum PHP requirements were not as stated on their website
  • Even for testing on my local firewalled machine I was completely forbidden from installing on what I have (and if I were using the default Mac version of PHP and not a programmer to work around it I think I'd have been completely stuck)
  • Needed PDO installed for MySQL, which is not a default. I didn't have it so I had to use sqlite
  • Using sqlite it just complained the DB was not there. I found it was as I had not given it write permission - but it didn't tell me this
  • Gave script timeout error, I had to hack the code
  • Ran out of memory. I can't remember how I solved this one actually
  • No quick installer option like ocPortal has, was all manual file permission setting etc

Eventually I did get it working. But it confirmed to me that what we have are industry wide usability issues, and it's not a problem specifically with ocPortal. I think the number of layers that web systems are built on, and the fluidity of it all, is the biggest cause of it all. But I actually think ocPortal is doing a better job than any of these other advanced CMS systems that you can install yourself.

Now here's what I've done for the next release to improve our usability…
  1. Instead of conflating multi-site-network and DB choice into a single yes/no input, I am making it two separate inputs. What existed made sense in terms of the option being there to tell ocPortal to turn on the additional database settings, but in terms of scanability of the installer's interface, two options is better.
  2. Most of our forum drivers will detect the base URL but phpBB's didn't because phpBB doesn't specify one in it's configuration (it works it out on the fly). I have now programmed our code to try harder and guess it, based upon the file path entered in, comparing to the file path and URL the installer is running on (not a simple thing or an exact science, but worth it).
  3. I have explained that the natural forum logins should be used at the top of the fourth step of the installer.

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

Just in time for a another video of mine.

View Here

Now I will read the above post.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Watching through at the moment, clearly there's a nasty bug there with it getting the DB details duplicated and well done for working around it.
As before, I am making a list of changes to make after watching this.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Ok, watched to the end and got a list of 5 changes to make from that, thanks!

With regard testing… I did do a phpBB integration test recently, but it didn't have your login problem (that's a weird one, well done for solving it, I'll need to try and work out why it happened) and I didn't test with two different DB's (probably some relatively recent change has broken that).

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

Thanks for your reply. As you can gather I am not the most pleasant person to be around with, I can't help it, I seem like a jerk.

Thanks for displaying some patience with me.
I am glad the videos been of some help.

I'll keep the video online for a couple of more days.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

The login problem was due to the weird 'n' symbol, which is an unusual character. phpBB must be in a different character set to ocPortal. It's best to only use keys on a normal keyboard for passwords because those should work on any character set. I'm documenting this issue, but there's no real way to solve it.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

In terms of integration, linking to phpBB member profile screens is a feature. That's what integration is really, they work as one system as far as possible with them actually being separate.

If you just want to use phpBB data and get rid of it as a separate bit of software, you should do what you did before with an import. I've added some explanatory text on this.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

That weird n is produced by holding down on the "Alt" key and pressing 1-6-4 like this .

It's a Spanish characters well really a Spanish accent is the correct term.

Spanish accents

That is why I changed the ocPortal database to use Collation utf8_bin.

Some people use password generators to product passwords and all types of letters are game, just seems that this can become an issue for some people. Just saying.

Thanks
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

About the import :WOW:
I totally forgot that it was in fact what I did before. I just forgot and I assumed that's how it was done as I showed in the above "long" clip.

I got to look at the thread where we were talking about it, I remember you made a custom file for that, is that file gonna be added to future version or maybe it is added already.

Thanks
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Just fixed the multi DB problem locally, nasty bug there, I think I introduced it when making usability changes last time.

The phpBB fix should be in both 5.1 and 5.0.3.

Was I helpful?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

I like to reinstall 5.1 when it's ready.
I'll keep a cool head about it this time.

Thanks
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

:offtopic: - Just curious where you're from Violative. Watched your vid and noticed a small accent there.

Eric DeMars . com
My electronic portfolio and personal site. Uses ocPortal!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

Now we been through this already,
does it freaking matter?
American!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View topic: Importing data into ocPortal from PHPBB3 - ocPortal.com

I don't go asking people how and why they have accents, that is offensive to me, I am too smart to know why that question gets asked, 99.99 is based on stereotypes. So to me what ever the reason you may state I won't take it at face value. If you must know I learn to speak Spanish first, I know I know its unbelievable but true; Mexican American learn Spanish at home first, so here you go read it up my brain developed differently and I'm assuming from yours. This maybe hard to believe but my brain is a little more advance because of my parents insisted in speaking Spanish to all their children, Don't believe my claim? google it, it's your best friend. If it seems I got a chip on my shoulders it's because I allowed racist kids at school to put it there so yeah I hate that question.      
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Technically everyone has an 'accent' if they're speaking English and aren't from Britain. ;)

Like ocPortal on Facebook:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

:lol: , funny I was thinking just the opposite was true, anyone not from the U.S and you speak English you have an accent to me.

Ahh I remember one fine fair British gal from years past, We only knew on another for a few hours on the dance floor,
(her husband was OK with this)
her accent was hot , I just loved it.

Thanks guys, your awesome
nice defuse.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Point taken.  :lol:

Robbie Goacher said

Technically everyone has an 'accent' if they're speaking English and aren't from Britain. ;)

Eric DeMars . com
My electronic portfolio and personal site. Uses ocPortal!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

I got the beta to work just fine. I am personally still debating on going back to ocportal. It will be a lot of work switching from wordpress to ocportal because there is not direct way to import wordpress posts into the catagories so will have to start over.
At least I can set the custom fields the same as they were for wordpress.

I run http://otakuplayground.com and am hopping to make themes and other things for ocportal even though I no longer use it for otakuplayground.com I still love it and feel it could go far with the right help. It needs themes and needs people to advertise for it.
Back to the top

There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Quick reply   Expand