HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS, which is now in beta. ocPortal 9 will be superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

Migrating from 4.3.2 to 6b1

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:
#66158 (In Topic #14145)

Well-settled

I'm the webmaster of www.metal-temple.com and I have to thank Chris for helping me out during its setup more than a year ago.

Problem with 4.3.2 and with the magazine has been that it's been running slow, having several thousands of catalogue entries.

Reading that the new 6b1 version runs blazingly fast just when I changed everything in the layout from tables to CSS and getting ready to migrate to a new VPS server, the timing was just perfect.

I'll just need help with the migration process. I don't really care about keeping the previous themes, as I said I'm switching to new code, replacing flash with jquery and tables with css.

I do care a lot though about migrating a few thousand reviews, interviews, news articles and reports over.

I also don't care about the forum, foras are dead as it is and facebook/twitter integration is the way to go. I'm just looking for a simple way to export several thousands of entries from one platform and peacefully import them to the other.

Ideally something like export to zip and import from zip that would create the catalogue along with its structure would be perfect; I'd be able to make a local copy of the 4.3.2 version to my server, upgrade it to 6b1, export the catalogues and reimport them to a fresh install of 6b1 then work the new theme there.

Any other suggestions on catalogue migration? :$
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Hi,

I've gone this route previously and succeeded - although not without a bit of 'hair-pulling'.

I think you will find most of the pitfalls documented in my thread, which probably leaves a few gaps, but it is somewhere to start …

Good luck!

:thumbs:

Take my advice. I'm not using it!

View my working ocPortal site (version 9.x.x) at Anglo-Indian Portal
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

Thanks a lot Fletch, on to study your thread, really appreciate it!
Back to the top

There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Quick reply   Contract

Your name:
Your message: