HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS, which is now in beta. ocPortal 9 will be superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

Hits on 404 page

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:
#75778 (In Topic #15672)

Community saint

I noticed that I seemed to be getting an inordinate number of visitors hitting the 404 page which is strange because I have checked that URLs work. So I looked in the "Page statistics" for the 404 page and found that a browser called Gootkit is responsible for over 40% of the hits on this page. I think it might be very useful to include the browser on the "Investigate user, by IP" page. Seeing this browser alone seems like good-enough reason to ban the IP and a handy Ban button on this page would be a great tool.

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

The Gootkit is a botnet trojan to be avoided. This blog, http://blog.webroot.co…ootkit-code-to-web-pages/, gives a good description of what this thing will do once it gets on your site.

Steve
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Yeah, I read that article and that was the reason I made this post. If we could see which browser visited the page when using "Investigate user, by IP" seeing this browser entry would be a clear sign that the IP needs to be banned.

I'm spending way too much of my time dealing with these issues rather than getting more content posted.

Bob
Back to the top

There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Quick reply   Contract

Your name:
Your message: