HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium ( Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS, which is now in beta. ocPortal 9 will be superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

Forced Upgrade 3.0.6

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
#21587 (In Topic #5201)

multiple errors

I uploaded the files from the 3.0.6 update. I used the force_upgrade.php. I typed in the password. Next, I was unsure whether I should type in the password for the ftp section of forced_upgrade. So, I did. That may have been a mistake.
I noticed the shinny new buttons and I wanted to click them all, but I resisted. I clicked the "Check permissions, but do not fix". It found one file that needed fixing (site/pages/html_custom/EN/download_tree_made.htm). So, I clicked on the "Check and Fix" button. That's when I got a continuious stream of chmod errors (at least that was the error that stood out), and my site went "BUSY" and timed out for a couple mintues. After my site came back up, I went back to force_upgrade and the same files needed permission fixed, but I did not try to fix it again. It appeared to be running a chmod or something on practically every file on the site. That was a little scary, because I believe the server I'm using is shared. I got the impression the update script was pulling many resources from the server in attempting the file permissions fix.
Back to the top

I've made some changes so the process will be a little more clever in the next release. However, there is no bug here as such, it's just not as efficient as it could be (it changes permissions that might already be ok). It shouldn't take down a server, but I suppose on a server that is active doing other things, it could push it over the edge.
I'd be interested what the errors you saw were, but don't feel you need to rerun it again just to tell me - I suspect that they may have been due to FTP not having access to change the permissions of files owned by the web server.

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top
1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None
Control functions:

Quick reply   Contract

Your name:
Your message: