HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS, which is now in beta. ocPortal 9 will be superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

First half 2012 sponsorship plans

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:
#78543 (In Topic #16066)

Community saint

So I've spent some time considering my sponsorship options for the first half of 2012 and I have come to a decision. Since the top four items I am interested in ring up at approximately $2000 (about twice what I planned on spending), I have decided to co-sponsor these four items as explained below. This means that none of these will be done without additional sponsorship from other parties.

I will provide seed sponsorship of one-half the cost on the following two projects:
Multi-categorization: 0000063: Multi-categorisation - ocPortal feature tracker
Dynamic filtering of galleries/catalogs: 0000309: Allow dynamic user filtering of catalog and gallery display - ocPortal feature tracker

I believe that these two features will provide the most benefit to the most users as they yield additional presentation abilities for the site owner and a better toolset for visitors to peruse and find data on your site. I think this point is driven home by Chris's endorsement of these projects through his vote for each project. Since I am providing half the funding for these projects, others will need only provide collective matching funding.

I will provide one hour (6 credits) for the following two projects which are slated as 3 hour projects:
Provide a grid layout option for main_cc_embed: 0000301: Provide a grid layout option for main_cc_embed - ocPortal feature tracker
Spammer database: 0000290: Spammer database - ocPortal feature tracker

Each of these projects has at least two other members interested so, hopefully, they can each make the commitment for 6 points (just over US$50) which would fully fund these projects. At any rate, we should be able to accomplish these since so little is needed pay for these.

I know that money is tight for many but I believe these are important improvements that truly will benefit many ocPortal users. If you are in a position to buy an hour or two of credits, we could get all these done and make ocPortal a better package and, more importantly, a more flexible package for us and our members/visitors.

Please consider getting involved in funding what I believe will be very important improvements to ocPortal if you can.

Bob

P.S. I am already targeting another big-ticket item for the second half of 2012.

Last edit: by BobS
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Just thought to myself that it might be wise to go over how to sponsor a feature since many are not very familiar with the tracker.

First, go to the full tracker at My View - ocPortal feature tracker. Then click the "Login" link in the upper-left and use your ocPortal forum credentials to log in.

Once logged in, find the item you want to sponsor. If you know the item number, you can enter the number and use the "Jump" button in the upper-right.

Once you are on the feature you'd like to sponsor,  scroll down to the "Users sponsoring this issue" area. You can enter the amount you are willing to sponsor there. I strongly suggest entering credits instead of money as it seems conversions to currencies are off. Since the items are truly priced in support credits, I think this is the better option anyway. Enter the number of credits you are sponsoring and hit the "Sponsor" button and you will be taken to a page to confirm your sponsorship. If you've entered support credits, ignore the currency amount and confirm the support credits and you're done.

The final step is to make sure you have support credits in your account to back your sponsorship. If you do not have enough credits, you can purchase more at ocPortal.com - Experts by the hour. Look for the "Top Up" box near the upper-right.

Congratulate yourself for participating in the growth and evolution of the best CMS package around, ocPortal.

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Just a quick reminder for people to review the feature tracker for items they might be interested in sponsoring or to add an item of their own. Also, take the time to discuss feature requests here in the forum. All of these actions serve to make ocPortal a better product.

I've co-sponsored 4 items as outlined in the OP. One feature - 0000301: Provide a grid layout option for main_cc_embed - ocPortal feature tracker - needs only six credits to be fully-sponsored and turned over to Chris for coding. This feature would provide a great new display format for catalogs that would be maintained by the developers instead of each of us needing to create our own version. This would be a solid win for anyone who wants to display many items in a compact "graphic" display format.

Bob

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

I want to thank both Fletch and Jean for completing the sponsorship of our first community-funded feature request of 2012: Provide a grid layout option for main_cc_embed (View topic: Sponsorship for feature tracker item #301 (Provide a grid layout option for main_cc_embed) - ocPortal). I think this serves as a perfect example of how we can collectively drive new features and benefits to ocPortal and its community without individually paying the full cost of the development. So, that's one down and three to go.

Much like the above small (18 support credits) feature request, I have also provided the initial 6 credits for the spammer database feature request. Though I would like this feature, it was not really that important to me compared to many others. I chose to support it in the spirit of community as it had gathered the most points from the community without the benefit of a vote from Chris Graham. I am happy to be able to support the features that other community members find important and it is for this reason that is critical that you vote for those items that are most important to you in the tracker (Feature development tracker - ocPortal) . We need only 12 more support credits to get this done. That's only two members at 6 points or three members at 4 points - well, you can do the math and come up with the interesting combinations.

My other two sponsorships are nearer to my heart than the spammer database feature request and both are more substantial in both cost and the benefits they will deliver to ocPortal users and their sites' visitors.

First up is the Multi-categorization feature (0000063: Multi-categorisation - ocPortal feature tracker). This feature request garnered the most votes including Chris's and mine. This is an important improvement as it will allow an item to exist within multiple categories of the same taxonomy. The example I used was my need to categorize a single painting in more than one category. Currently, when I have a painting of a clown with a nude, I need to decide if it's a clown painting or a nude painting, but the fact is that it is both and should appear to visitors regardless if they choose a listing of clowns or nudes.

But perhaps a better example of something similar is the ability within the member's profile to assign a member to more than one usergroup. This provides a great deal of flexibility to providing complex access controls while still maintaining a primary grouping. This change would provide this same type of flexibility for catalogs, galleries and downloads. I consider this a very important improvement and have pledged to sponsor 51 of the 102 credits needed to have this feature implemented. I recognize that this is expensive but if members can contribute what they can afford, it does put it within reach. I hope you will consider this and join me in sponsorship if you can.

The one feature dearest to me is allowing dynamic filtering of catalogs and galleries using filters you define and create (0000309: Allow dynamic user filtering of catalog and gallery display - ocPortal feature tracker). This feature would make it possible for your visitors to refine their searches as they can on many shopping sites - zeroing in on the information they are interested in. I am not certain how common this feature is in other CMSes, but it is pretty standard fare for e-commerce software. I know I can do the same with the online card catalog for my local library. This feature helps your visitors to quickly find what they are after and this greatly improves user engagement and satisfaction. I have pledged to support 48 of the 96 credits required to complete this project. As I said above, small sponsorship pledges will put this feature (which I consider vitally important) within reach. If you can, please consider sponsoring this feature request, improving ocPortal and your visitors' experience.

Both of the last two features are typically found in e-commerce software. You might wonder why I would bring that up and I will explain. A CMS is really a retail outlet for information. As such, it benefits from the same tools that make shopping site software better including the multi-categorization and dynamic filtering of content. When viewed this way, it becomes clear that you want to provide your visitors (customers) with the best user experience possible and both of these last two items make that experience much better. As a retail outlet, you offer three things that matter to customers: selection, cost and ease of use (that would be location, parking and signage in the 3D world). These same three items are in play online as well, so all other things being equal, it all comes down to ease of use. You can either provide the best tools to keep your customers engaged or you can watch them trek off to another storefront (site).

I will share one final thought. During my days in management and when owning my own businesses, I used to inculcate people with these two tenets:
  1. Knowledge is power;
  2. Data is nothing but an interesting collection of facts until an inquiry turns it into knowledge

The latter two features allow a site visitor to easily derive knowledge from your site which, in turn, keeps people coming back. I hope you will help in sponsoring the above features if you possibly can.

Bob

Last edit: by BobS
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Well, here I am stumping again for sponsorship of these features.

With the US entering the heart of the income tax season, I am hoping that any ocPortal user who is getting a refund might consider using some portion of that to help sponsor a feature. I've made my case above for the features I think are most important but sponsoring any feature in the tracker helps ocPortal become a stronger product.

Please consider sponsoring a feature even if you can only spare a small portion of the total cost.

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

:thumbs:

Take my advice. I'm not using it!

View my working ocPortal site (version 9.x.x) at Anglo-Indian Portal
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

I recently got zapped with some large unexpected expense that pulled away a tiny amount of play money I had but I still wish to give some funding from time to time for features when I can but I have question about the purchase of support credits:

I looked at the purchase page and saw the lowest amount to purchase (for "Take Your Time Support") was 9 credits but sometimes I see a feature that just needs 6 credits to complete so I was wondering if there is a way to just order the 6 credits to complete a feature or do I have to purchase the 9 and save the rest for another feature?

If it were the first way I might be more apt  help close out a feature sometimes because the conversion rate (although better than it was) from CAD to GBP is not the best so when I have say an extra $50 to toss in the pot I can without having to practically double it to add for conversion. The low support credit purchase of 9 credits for 50 gbp is a good price but sometimes it is tight and while I might not be able to give the $80 Canadian at that time I could maybe give $50 (and I am no good at keeping it set aside till I am ready to throw another 30 or 50 lol)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

For feature sponsorship I am happy to talk to people prior to it and arrange direct payment via Paypal or whatever, it's no biggie.

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

That's great to hear, Chris.

I know that the 9 points is a good lower limit for support credit because it allows people to make a point point sponsorship and still have some points left over for support or as a "downpayment" on a future sponsorship. But with the economy the way it is, the extra three points can be a burden especially with the exchange rate factored in.

I do hope that people see your flexibility as one less obstacle to making even just a small sponsorship. To me, it's all about working together to advance what is already the best CMS available.

Bob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Thanks to the generous sponsorship of ntesla27 we have fully-sponsored the filtering feature:
View topic: Provide the ability for member to dynamically filter content - ocPortal

That's half of the four items I pledged sponsorship for and I'd like to see the other half done.

To me, the next most important feature to greatly improve is the multiple-categorization feature (0000063: Multi-categorisation - ocPortal feature tracker). This will be a boon to anyone who deals with collections of items. You can find more discussion at View topic: Gauging interest in the multiple category tracker feature - ocPortal

Please consider helping to sponsor this feature no matter how small your contribution might be. These contributions add up and make ocPortal a more flexible and more capable product.

Bob
Back to the top

There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Quick reply   Contract

Your name:
Your message: