MySQL could not serve an ocPortal database request because it used invalid characters for the database tables it holds.
How did this happen?
Either invalid data is being entered, or you are using a non-default character set in your language pack.
This will only happen with some languages, on some versions/configurations of MySQL.
How do I fix it?
This is a particularly technical problem. You may prefer to seek help to resolve it.
Your web host will almost certainly provide a hosting control panel with a tool called 'phpMyAdmin' (it may be called something else, such as 'Database management').
- Access / Log in to this tool
- Make sure you are in the database that ocPortal uses
- Take a backup just in case: Click 'Export', make sure 'Structure' and 'Data' are both ticked (checked), click 'Go' and make sure it properly saves to your computer
- Go through each table linked in the left frame. For each table…
- Click 'Operations'.
- Change the 'Charset' to whatever most closely matches your own language. You may wish to test your change on the table referenced in the error message first.
Was I helpful?
- If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
- If so, please let others know about Composr whenever you see the opportunity or support me on Patreon.
- If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying Composr on fun personal projects.
- If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.