HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS, which is now in beta. ocPortal 9 will be superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

777? Are you kidding?

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:
#23967 (In Topic #5751)

Well-settled

Set the folders and files to 0777?

This cannot be right, surely?

Someone please tell me that this thing can run at 0755, otherwise there is no way I can install this script on my server.

I just uploaded all the files for Dolphin and had that 777 thing, and promptly deleted it. No commerical program such as phpFox, Efriends, BAC etc should even consider 777, I'd have thought?

Before I upload 17MB only to delete it again, can anyone confirm if this really does need the "Hey, come exploit my site!" setting?

:o

D

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

I do not know of any program that does not have you set folders to 777. Even IPB and vbulitin do that.
You can always set the important files back to 755 after the install.
Just do the 777 for install but leave the cache and uploads at 777.

I run http://otakuplayground.com and am hopping to make themes and other things for ocportal even though I no longer use it for otakuplayground.com I still love it and feel it could go far with the right help. It needs themes and needs people to advertise for it.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

No can do, 777 is not even an option on my control panel.

In case I was wrong on this I did a search:

"Short and easy rule of thumb - Few PHP applications really need a directory with 777 permissions. Not even files need 777 in most cases. If an application states that as a requirement there's a good chance its dead wrong and its encouraging you to practise bad security. Unfortunately its common…"

Pity, as it looked nice, lot cheaper than the phpFox I'm using now too. But I've been using this webhost for almost 10 years, they're absolutely excellent and darned if I'll change hosts to suit the script. Not to mention I agree with them, opening up a folder anyone can stick anything they like in there then execute it is madness.

Oh well, I'll keep looking. Thanks anyway.

D

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Try doing the permission in your ftp program.

I run http://otakuplayground.com and am hopping to make themes and other things for ocportal even though I no longer use it for otakuplayground.com I still love it and feel it could go far with the right help. It needs themes and needs people to advertise for it.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

The permissions are discussed in some length in our advanced security functionality.

To make it short – almost all web hosts have PHP set up so that PHP runs with a different user and group to the FTP user that you'd upload files with. Therefore if the web app (which runs via the web server) is to be able to write to a file, or save into a folder, it requires full everybody access to do that.
There is no way around that without either:
  • storing the FTP password
  • asking the staff for the FTP password each time a new file is created
  • storing everything in the database (which is an abuse of the database)

I don't know where that quote is from, but it comes off quite arrogant. It's probably written by someone who doesn't have an appreciation for the realities of shared hosting – they probably configure their own servers.

The tutorial explains how you can use alternate permissions should the web server be better configured, but I am yet to see a case of a well configured shared web server. Web servers should however, and often are, set up so that webapps are quarantined into the directory of the website that they are for; this stops interference.

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

I agree with Chris, fully.
And to make a comment about th third option there, some hosts would get very mad as you would use up lots of recources very quickly.
What I do is when I upload some thing I leave the permission the way they are when I upload it tell I get a message that says to change the permission on a folder or file.
Also a lot of time I will change the permisions on the config file to the lowest it can go to protect that file. (Infact that was sugested on IPB when some one made a post just like this one there)

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

Well have installed the program and generally it seems great - but slower than a dead dog.

I just claimed a refund for phpfox as it was so painfully slow, but this thing seems slower. Yet opening this forum was speedy enough, so I'm guessing this is running on a dedicated server?

I already have a sophisticated membership area on the site, where users have their own private start page, a customised phpBB forum and B2Evo blog, all intergrated. That's runs smooth and speedy enough.

But this thing, sheesh. Is it just my connection today or is this script known to be sloooooooow?

D
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

Is it jus cos I'm logged in as admin and getting extra features that makes it slow?

And what's with the excessive branding? More than a little OTT don't you think?

Does my forum have this quick reply thingy? I didn't notice it.. takes FOREVER to do anything on my site

Sorry if I seem arrogant (along with the quoted chap) but I've now installed, or tried to install, about 4 different scripts and I'm getting sick of it. Looking at this one it's going to take a lot of work just to get rid of your branding everywhere.

D
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

dateofbirth said

Well have installed the program and generally it seems great - but slower than a dead dog.

I just claimed a refund for phpfox as it was so painfully slow, but this thing seems slower. Yet opening this forum was speedy enough, so I'm guessing this is running on a dedicated server?

I already have a sophisticated membership area on the site, where users have their own private start page, a customised phpBB forum and B2Evo blog, all intergrated. That's runs smooth and speedy enough.

But this thing, sheesh. Is it just my connection today or is this script known to be sloooooooow?

D
I have 2 running on the same server and its fast for me.
One of the things I like about ocPortal its that it is fast.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

dateofbirth said

Is it jus cos I'm logged in as admin and getting extra features that makes it slow?

And what's with the excessive branding? More than a little OTT don't you think?

Does my forum have this quick reply thingy? I didn't notice it.. takes FOREVER to do anything on my site

Sorry if I seem arrogant (along with the quoted chap) but I've now installed, or tried to install, about 4 different scripts and I'm getting sick of it. Looking at this one it's going to take a lot of work just to get rid of your branding everywhere.

D

When you pay for it and install the script that comes with paying for it the branding is automatically removed.
Unless your talking about the logo, that can be changed by the logo changer.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

Well I'm pleased to see speedy responses here, which is always a good sign.

2 copies running on one dedicated server? Great, so if I can just get my host to give me 50% of a server..

When branding is removed, is it total? I ask as I've known others to sneak it back in at various points - for example if it sends an email, I notice you get the logo sent - will that be my logo or the OC logo?

Does it remove the "power by" bit, from *everywhere*?

I don't mind it in the source code, few visitors would bother looking but the idea of this is to accompany commercial products, so needs to look professional. For example is the ALT text changed to suit or will I have my logo and "Powered by OC Portal" as the alt text?

Forgive me seeming suspicious but as I say I'm growing weary of all this. Are there any major bugs that need sorting? Am I going to be spending the next few weeks editing php or does this thing actually work as planned?

D

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

OK, quick question - how do I get the thing to quit telling me to sign in again?

Keep getting the "You're only logged in with cookies" thing. Every 5 minutes.

??

D
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

dateofbirth said

Well I'm pleased to see speedy responses here, which is always a good sign.

2 copies running on one dedicated server? Great, so if I can just get my host to give me 50% of a server..

When branding is removed, is it total? I ask as I've known others to sneak it back in at various points - for example if it sends an email, I notice you get the logo sent - will that be my logo or the OC logo?

Does it remove the "power by" bit, from *everywhere*?

I don't mind it in the source code, few visitors would bother looking but the idea of this is to accompany commercial products, so needs to look professional. For example is the ALT text changed to suit or will I have my logo and "Powered by OC Portal" as the alt text?

Forgive me seeming suspicious but as I say I'm growing weary of all this. Are there any major bugs that need sorting? Am I going to be spending the next few weeks editing php or does this thing actually work as planned?

D

I do not use dedicated. I use downtown host I have thier 4.95 plan.
Yes ir removed the powered by in the corner and the one in the left menu.
I know what its like to be weary. I tested well over 100 cms's and forums tell I found this one and found it does every thing I need and want.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

dateofbirth said

OK, quick question - how do I get the thing to quit telling me to sign in again?

Keep getting the "You're only logged in with cookies" thing. Every 5 minutes.

??

D

I have had that happen and what I did to fix it is change the cookie settings in ocPortal and also delete the cookies from my computer. It stated working after that.
I only had this problem when I had 2 copies running on the same domain.
So technially I have 4 copies running. One for demo and testing and one for making the skins. Then the other 2 are my actual sites.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

dateofbirth said

Try turning validation off, and caching on. :)

dateofbirth said

Apart from some minor source code branding, when you register your copy of ocPortal, branding removal is total, apart from the logo, which you can change anyway by retheming your site (e.g. running the theme wizard).

There are a few confirmed bugs for 3.0.10, but we're pretty sure that they're the last few bugs which will be found in version 3. :)

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

Does that include all the references to OC in the comcode help?

Would it change the sample images to my own logo?

Upon paying is there some kind of wizard that goes through and helps replace such images, for example the OC button thingy on the forum?

I have my own button. :)

How do I go about changing them anyway, or do I have to pay for it first?

I can see it's gonna take me a long time to find my way around this thing.   :|

D
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

I do agree on it taking a while to find things, but once you do its fun.
When you register your given a file called registed you upload the to ftp and it automatically removes the ocPortal botton on the left menu. It also removed the power by and changes the powered by to a donation botton, which you can then change to what ever you like.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

Ok, 2 questions:

1. What's up with the profile thingy? I have a paragraph or two in my profile, can only see the beginning of the first line, which is a bit daft?

2. What the heck is up with the sign-in thing? If I go to the forum it says "Welcome admin" but when I tell it to update my photo it tells me to login, and neither my normal nor special password works?

O_o

D
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

I logged out in order to see the site through the eyes of a guest. Yes it's lovely, signed back in again.

'Welcome admin'.

But now I cannot access the admin area or do anything - yet just made a test post on the forum with no problem?

This doesn't make much sense?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Well-settled

Is this running on IP address or something, because my IP address changes frequently, that's out of my control (pants ISP but the only one available where I am)?

:(

Well I tried closing that window and opening a new window, also closing down the software development thingy I was working on (because it sucks up my PC's memory like a sponge). Went to the site again:

"Welcome back admin" again..

Clicked admin zone and went straight there without needing to sign in. Weird.

I suspect it was my PC running out of memory somehow? Could that cause this?

D

Last edit: by dateofbirth
Back to the top

There are too many online users to list.
Control functions:

Quick reply   Expand