HTML Logo by World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org). Click to learn more about our commitment to accessibility and standards.

Moving forward with Composr

ocPortal has been relaunched as Composr CMS, which is now in beta. ocPortal 9 will be superseded by Composr 10.

Head over to compo.sr for our new site, and to our migration roadmap. Existing ocPortal member accounts have been mirrored.

503 Service Unavailable message when trying to save work

Login / Search

[ Join | More ]
 Add topic 
Posted
Rating:
#64950 (In Topic #13971)

Community saint

Every time I try to save a CSS change I am getting this message:

503 Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily busy, try again later!

When I refresh the page it does save the changes but this process is annoying and steals time. It seems that I have run into this problem before and Chris had a solution but I can't remember what it was.

Please help.

Art and Imagination
of David L Friend

http://davidlfriend.com

My Art Gallery
powered by ocPortal
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Hmm, seems like a classic mod_security problem. ocPortal is sending some HTML to the server and Apache's mod_security thinks you're a hacker for doing it. Our recommended.htaccess has a bit of code to disable mod_security but I don't believe it works with their latest version; unfortunately there's really no solution I can propose, it's between the web host and the mod_security people for adding system restraints. I think if you explain to Elief they'll sort it out for you.

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

I think if you explain to Elief they'll sort it out for you.
OK, thanks I'll take it up with them.

I did swap the default host .htaccess with the ocPortal's recommended.htaccess which chased away those white page dead ends.

Art and Imagination
of David L Friend

My Art Gallery
powered by ocPortal
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

plain.htaccess with the added Suhosin script works fine for me in solving this issue.

Code

# Suhosin can cause problems on configuration and Catalogue forms, which use a lot of fields
php_value suhosin.post.max_vars "2000"
php_value suhosin.request.max_vars "2000"
php_value suhosin.cookie.max_vars "400"
php_value suhosin.cookie.max_name_length "150"
php_value suhosin.post.max_value_length "100000000"
php_value suhosin.request.max_value_length "100000000"
php_flag suhosin.cookie.encrypt off
php_flag suhosin.sql.union off
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

I took this problem to Elief, my web host, and the problem went through several attempts at resolving it without sucess.

Here is the latest comment on the problem:

Elief Support Team said

Hello,

This is not a mod_security issue.
IT appears that your script is trying to increase PHP memory limit, and Suhosin is blocking that:

2010-12-01 00:57:19.279 [NOTICE] [76.104.219.185:2076-1#APVH_davidlfriend.com] [STDERR] ALERT - script tried to increase memory_limit to 4294967295 bytes which is above the allowed value (attacker '76.104.219.185', file '/home/davidlfr/public_html/data/javascript.php')
Script is trying to increase memory_limit to 4GB, which is way too much.
I would suggest you to try to contact developers and check this error with them.

eLief.com Support Team

Art and Imagination
of David L Friend

My Art Gallery
powered by ocPortal
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

ocPortal's htaccess sets the memory_limit to "-1", which suhosin misinterprets as 4GB. Please try changing that.

It's irritating because suhosin is a third-party PHP plugin that introduces bugs.

Become a fan of ocPortal on Facebook or add me as a friend. Add me on on Twitter.
Was I helpful?
  • If not, please let us know how we can do better (please try and propose any bigger ideas in such a way that they are fundable and scalable).
  • If so, please let others know about ocPortal whenever you see the opportunity.
  • If my reply is too Vulcan or expressed too much in business-strategy terms, and not particularly personal, I apologise. As a company & project maintainer, time is very limited to me, so usually when I write a reply I try and make it generic advice to all readers. I'm also naturally a joined-up thinker, so I always express my thoughts in combined business and technical terms. I recognise not everyone likes that, don't let my Vulcan-thinking stop you enjoying ocPortal on fun personal projects.
  • If my response can inspire a community tutorial, that's a great way of giving back to the project as a user.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Community saint

Chris Graham said

ocPortal's htaccess sets the memory_limit to "-1", which suhosin misinterprets as 4GB. Please try changing that.
What should it be changed to?

Art and Imagination
of David L Friend

My Art Gallery